PhD question

foofighter

We have been in Iraq for how long? I was deployed during the initial assault during OIF1. I deployed in 2003 for 9 months and returned, then started my program in 2005 (see how its possible yet?)

Again, I give you a compliment and you call me a liar, you are just foolish and pathetic. BTW I am almost 40 years old and have been around and done many things, goto http://www.usuhs.mil and you will see how it is possible to get a Neuroscience PhD while on ACTIVE DUTY, don't start waving your hands and doubting people before you have researched the issue, you know better, again you are foolish and pathetic in this capacity by thinking someone is untruthful without having a clue about background.

Do you know what I just realized???? You didn't even look at my webpage that is part of my user profile and still called me a liar......I mean its right there plain as day, my CV is on it......talk about rushing to judgment..................

He didn't call you a liar, he asked how something was possible.

Talk about rushing to judgement.

armygas - i know u put ur life on the line for the country, but maybe he was simply curious and not accusatory?

Actually I provide Anesthesia (when I am not in the lab) to our service members.

But anyhoot, He posted the same crap in three different places on here.........and not once but twice he tried to call me out......"Homey don't play dat!!!!!"

VERIFY BEFORE YOU TESTIFY!!! (hehehehe, kinda like that....)

My PhD process put me in direct contact, every day, with people who had access to massive sums of money and facilities. Mainly this is the distinction between a self trained scientist and a PhD. The PhD is allowed to be a professional scientist because they have gone through the hoops and demonstrated, in a controlled environment, that you are capable of developing an independent project and carrying out unique research.

The PhD process doesn't mean much more than that you're almost ready to seek to be a professional scientist. It's basically a certification that shows you're serious about being a scientist. Engineers apply generalized mathematical toolset to solve a problem defined by someone else. Scientists develop new information about the cosmos.

If you want to get funding for a scientific project from sources other than your parents or a bank loan or for other work, you're going to want a PhD. PhD professors will be handed hundreds of thousands, millions, and sometimes even billions of dollars (in the case of designing things like massive gravitational interferometers and particle accelerators) for research projects. A PhD is really the first step in a long road to that kind of recognition in the field.

He didn't call you a liar, he asked how something was possible.

Talk about rushing to judgement.

Thank you. It's nice to know that someone can read a simple sentence.

My PhD process put me in direct contact, every day, with people who had access to massive sums of money and facilities. Mainly this is the distinction between a self trained scientist and a PhD. .

Og, with all respect, that wasn't the OP's question. The question was, if you read sufficiently in a field, can you gain the equivalent knowledge of the field as a Ph.D.? The answer is "yes" because Ph.D.s do the same thing all the time!

I was trained as a biochemist and did my Ph.D. thesis on the effect of fluoride and vitamin A deficiency on glyscosaminoglycans in bone. During a postdoc I was tasked to come up with a delivery vehicle for a water soluble protein that induced bone in a non-skeletal site. I had to do extensive reading in the literature of controlled-release polymers. I gained equivalent knowledge in the field to my collaborator who was getting his M.D./Ph.D. in a lab that formulated and tested controlled-release vehicles.

Right now I'm learning about intervertebral discs and the approaches to repairing them. Reading the literature will give me equivalent knowledge to someone already working in the field.

Why is this so? Because the people working in the field write down everything they know in research papers and reviews! They have to, science is done in the public domain. You don't hide knowledge in science. So everything they know, you can know.

I would assume that this is true for almost any field.

During undergrad one almost exclusively learns from text books for the next exam. There is hardly any hands-on experience (a few weeks practical courses do not count).

Field of study does matter.....

My entire undergraduate career consisted of 3 - 4 different labs each semester. At the end of the semester a lab practicum had to be passed within the alotted time or you didn't pass the course. That is how engineering is done, at least at good engineering schools or at least in my experience through my B.S. and my M.S.

If you don't learn anything till your M.S. you are wasting a lot of time and money.