"Engineering" Board- Impressions Gotten

imp

I sense that few viewers or contributors look at and consider examples of either existing Engineering or proposed solutions as posing either poor results or needing improvement through further consideration.

In less words, as an Engineer, I look for, and often find, examples of engineering results in products which are poor or improvable, and that troubles me.

Would it not be valuable for both up-and-coming Engineers, as well as established ones, to discuss method and product improvement possibilities in this Board? imp

Yes, it probably would be valuable.

Do you have any specific examples in mind, to start us off? For instance, is there a particular example that prompted you to start this thread.

Yes, sir! Many examples "jump" out at me in everyday use of engineered products, which I guess includes nearly everything.

As a start: Vehicular drive axles. For many years, outer (wheel) bearings were removable as units, and replaceable. American manufacturers, and perhaps others I'm not familiar with, dispensed with bearings having inner races and simply use the axle shaft itself as the inner race. A failed bearing thus destroys the axle shaft bearing surface, requiring replacement of a much more expensive, and difficult to obtain part. Perhaps this sort of concern for engineering options is not worth consideration for discussion? If not, what should we discuss in this board? What content will inspire and "draw" interest?

I ask because I am vitally interested in engineering techniques and alternative methods. imp

i've found that this board is used most by people who want to build something or find how something works.

there's not normally much motive behind a thread to improve something unless someone can get something out of it.

i've found that this board is used most by people who want to build something or find how something works.

there's not normally much motive behind a thread to improve something unless someone can get something out of it.

Rocket Man, I see your point. I guess the "something" I get out of it is personal satisfaction. Still, there no doubt are Engineers who are also Lawyers, and seek to "get something" out of perceived poorly engineered products.

I would enjoy discussing hypothetical improvement of various engineered devices, but if no one cares to do so, so be it. imp

if it comes up as a thread, it will probably have quite a lot of merit for discussion... i myself enjoy picking existing products to bits both metaphorically and literally. there's a number of products that could do with a complete overhaul and that often involves a lot of entertaining discussion.

there have been a number of threads like this that did quite well. (if someone took a development team to this site they'd make a fortune)