Please to help with Cryptogram...

I find myself unable to solve this cryptogram. I think it uses letter substitution, but maybe not. I must admit that I am slightly conflicted about asking for help, since I generally like to solve things on my own, so if it is not too much to ask, if someone solves it, perhaps they could give me some clues as opposed to the full answer? Many thanks in advance. The cryptext is as follows:

"JFBULBY, EHO DQPHE KBQPLYO!"

ULR EHOBO L SLR YQRSLMOY?

ZFE EHFCPH EHO RFDYQOB AZOU

RFSOFZO HLY KDCZYOBOY.

EHOQBR ZFE EF SLAO BOTDM,

EHOQBR ZFE EF BOLRFZ UHM,

EHOQBR KCE EF YF LZY YQO.

QZEF EHO NLDDOM FJ YOLEH.

BFYO EHO RQW HCZYBOY.

Just below this cryptext is the following "4 letters missing." I believe this refers to the fact that the letters G, I, V and X to not appear in the cryptext. I think that what I ultimately need is the plaintext equivalent of these four letters.

I can tell you that the plaintext most likely includes proper names (likely canidates = pitman, shedd). Other words likely to appear include "fortress" "shadow" "wolves." This is a link to the original source, which may give additional insight.

Okay heres my idea of what I sort have figured out thus far...Don't know if its right but its possible.

L=A (what other letter stands by itself makes any sense in a passage of text?)

Z= could equal R but I'm not sure...hope this gets someone started perhaps..

Ok, I got it. For any who want to solve it just for the hell of it, what follows contains clues that you may not want to read.

I found another post in this forum about solving cryptograms, which discussed letter frequency and such.

Applying what I learned from that thread I have decrypted the above text, it is a [spoiler removed at poster's request]

Edited by Cap'n Refsmmat

• 3 years later...