tesla's inventions

tomgwyther

Has Nikola Tesla's experiment of tranmitting energy via the ionasphere been repeated succesfuly under lab conditions?

If it were possible, how might this work?

Any other insight into Tesla's experiments would be appriciated, his claims seem a little too out there, and should either be dismissed, or corroberated with serious scientific scrutiny.

thanks.

Tom

Has Nikola Tesla's experiment of tranmitting energy via the ionasphere been repeated succesfuly under lab conditions?

If it were possible, how might this work?

Any other insight into Tesla's experiments would be appriciated, his claims seem a little too out there, and should either be dismissed, or corroberated with serious scientific scrutiny.

thanks.

Tom

Tom, here are a few things I recall about Tesla- (I'm a Tesla coil freak, sort of)- Transmission of massive amounts of power via high-frequency radio energy (which is what he proposed) seems to have limited practicality. He believed that resonance (in L-C) circuits was an unlimited natural "gift", which it really is not. Still, a Tesla coil does radiate energy in an impressive way; using that energy practically is another matter.

For example, transmission of electrical power is accomplished via high-voltage a.c. at line frequency, not high-frequency, and the key important difference is that ONLY as much power as is needed, or being used at the receiving end, is being carried by the line at any given time. On the other hand, transmitted wireless power would be "on" at all times, radiating outward a fixed amount of energy; all unused energy would be wasted.

A Tesla coil may be constructed successfully using rudimentary and easily obtained parts. If you like, let me know, and we can discuss in more detail.

imp

it`s been proven to work, you`ve even done it yourself above once I should imagine :)

it`s the whole principal behind the front end of a Radio receiver!

or a crystal radio set.

Well, then let's see you utilize the rf energy present at all times in your home to power all it's electrically operated conveniences! (just being a little sarcastic, I see your point). imp

Well, then let's see you utilize the rf energy present at all times in your home to power all it's electrically operated conveniences! (just being a little sarcastic, I see your point). imp

erm... it HAS been done!:P

And the guy that did it also got busted for it too after a few years of what was considered Theft from a nearby Radio broadcast station, he had a large copper tank coil in his attic and other related parts and was in fact running a large percentage of his house from this power.

There have been a lot of threads about Tesla on these forums (I started one myself few years back: http://www.scienceforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=8529 highlighting Tesla's contribution to science). A lot of those threads have some serious flaws and misleading information and before you take anyone's opinion as a fact on anything please make sure that you confirm this by reading some acknowledged sources.

Tesla has even been labeled as a quack, on these forums... and in general is considered as a side-push if you will, to the scientific development. This is hugely disappointing, ignorant and disrespectful. If you go on and read some of Tesla's work you'll see why. He contributed to almost all areas of science though most of his patents had foundation in physics (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Tesla_patents ). He was close to Nobel Prize but that's a completely different story. Had he received it when he should've he would've probably been more respected these days. You can check these stories out in many books or good sites.

Here are some interesting things to look into:

Documentaries: Nikola Tesla; Genius Who Lit the World (1994), Nikola Tesla: Master of Lightning (PBS, 1999).

Books: compiled autobiography (free); http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/My_Inventions:_The_Autobiography_of_Nikola_Tesla

also Tesla: Man Out of Time, (there are more!)

Generally, if you read/watch only these I mentioned you should have a very good grasp of who Tesla was, what he did, when and how. If you want to know more I'm sure you'll find some, be cautious of sources though. There are millions of sites around the net claiming that they succeeded in harnessing the so called 'free energy' that Tesla apparently was looking for... It's not even funny.

Some of the documentaries may be available on Google videos :)

If the literature is correct, following Tesla's death, agents of the government seized his notes and records; supposedly, advised by some top minds, they feared truth in his development of uses for aggressive activity, like "death rays", etc.

Those records have never been released (or found). (supposedly). imp

i think i've seen the actual schematic for his death ray, as well as the a news article about it. the records didn't vanish or get snatched up, they were simply unfeasable at the time. i have no doubt that they were of interest to government agencies but they wouldn't bother covering them up.

iirc, the death ray used a tremendous charge that could be released along some (unproven) ray device which could be substituted for a laser. the beam the assembly emitted was then suposed to be seeded with droplets of mercury which were accelerated by the electric potential and also held in the line of fire via Z-pinch.

consider proposing this to an audience of investors who have seen millions of dollars dissapear. the technology was at the time, almost impossible and ridiculously expensive. who would buy it?

General diagram for the Death Ray didn't disappear because he used it as an ad to offer full schematics for sale to various governments. Some were interested, most notably Soviet Union and UK (while US probably hoped to get it for free), but nobody wanted to proceed with the deal. However in-depth details were either not found or not released - it is not known what really happened because all of Tesla's documents were seized by the FBI shortly after his death and although most of them were later returned, there is strong evidence to suggest that a good sum of the documents is still missing.

Also, I think it says in one of the documentaries I listed that UK attempted to make their own beam weapon based on Tesla's ideas but failed. (a bit about Death Ray; http://www.pbs.org/tesla/ll/ll_wendwar.html )

FBI has a page on Tesla and the whereabouts of his papers; http://foia.fbi.gov/foiaindex/tesla.htm