The Amazing Shattering Stovetop!

jpaps

Hi all,

This morning, my glass stove top exploded into a million pieces. It was on at the time. Luckily, these things are made with safety glass, so the actual spray of glass was minimal. I'm thinking it may be some kind of build up of gas under the surface. I am curious to know what everyone may think!

Thanks & regards,

J

Had you just put something cold on top of it? My first thought is a significant temperature gradient. They're designed against getting ones big enough to shatter, but I suspect in the right circumstances you could archive one.

sounds like thermal shock. i doubt the top would be airtight enough to cause any significant buildup of pressure.

if nothing cold enough was touching it then the only thing i can think of is that thermal expansion against its frame produced enough force to shatter it although that is very very unlikely as it would be factored into the design.

electric or gas? did you take a photo?

most gas stoves have glass tops, i suppose if you have all the elements on full in a cold kitchen you could get a decent gradient, but most are built that the glass stays fairly cold; rubber seals between aluminium troughs and plenty of air flow underneath.

did anything spill or was it just running normally?

electric or gas? did you take a photo?

most gas stoves have glass tops, i suppose if you have all the elements on full in a cold kitchen you could get a decent gradient, but most are built that the glass stays fairly cold; rubber seals between aluminium troughs and plenty of air flow underneath.

did anything spill or was it just running normally?

I don't think I've ever seen a gas one with a glass top...