Changing majors.

JamesCS

Greetings, I have a few questions that I can't seem to find with research.

I get my AAS in Computer Science in October (mostly network support)

I want to continue on and get my BS, but what other options do I have besides computers? I find myself drifting away from computers and more in to physics, biology and theology. Do I have to choose computers, does it depend on the school, or what?

Is it possible to go from AAS in Computer Science to a general Science BS degree, then from there move to a MS/PhD that doesn't deal with computers?

I don't really know anything about degrees, I sorta jumped right in to college and now it's way too easy and I don't think I'm learning as much as I could if I was taking something else.

Perhaps if someone could at least suggest a direction for me. I will be starting for my bachelors in X near the end of 2007. I know more about computers than anything else (networking, PCs etc..), yet I am only interested in physics, evolutionary biology, and nanotechnology.

My goal is to eventually grab a doctorates or at least a masters, but I don't want to do it by playing with PCs for the rest of my life. I don't want to start over, which is why I am seeking a possibility of a gradual education change as I move up in degrees.

Any input would be great.

I would seriously suggest talking with your guidance counselor/advisor. Or, if you don't have one, talk with an advisor at your local college. Or, write an email to an advisor. The reason I keep pushing taking to an advisor is that it is basically the advisor's job to answer these questions for you, and can be very specific about opportunities at their university, and should be able to talk about opportunities in their industry. Sounds like a comp sci advisor would be a good place to start, and maybe also talking with a physics advisor.

So it does depend on the school and how they work things?

The trade school I go to now only offers AAS degree programs right now. So I will need to change schools, that's where it becomes an issue.

I will try to talk with someone when I go to sign up for my next degree. I was hoping I could get this done now so I have time to think about it and figure out what my options are.

Thanks though.

There is no reason whatsoever you can't call or email the local university and ask to speak to an advisor to discuss your options. You can't expect them to drop everything and help you immediately, they have their own full time jobs and are probably advising 100's of other students as well, but they should take the time to answer your questions and if necessary try to find a time the two of your can meet. At the very least, if you call and talk to the advisor and they can't help you, they should know how to direct you to someone who can. There are many people at the university who will be able to answer your questions, advisors, recruiters, admissions personnel, professors in the department you are interested in. There are probably more people than you ever wanted to meet. Go find them. Call up the admissions office and schedule a campus visit -- tell them what department(s) you want to visit specifically. There are so many options here, there is no excuse not to have all the questions you want answered as soon as possible.

Oh yeah, why didn't I think of that before? *sigh*

For one, I don't even know what school I will be attending (or what schools are in this area for that matter) and I sent an e-mail to a couple of people at the University (even though I can't afford this) about a month ago and I haven't heard back from any of them. I asked the program director at my college and she says that it varies for all colleges and depends on my credits, but it is possible.

So my last option was to hopefully get a simple response, basically saying "yes, it's possible to go from Information Technology to Physics" or "No, you must start over" I'm going to assume it is possible, at least if the credits are broad enough.