Electric supercharger

Guest fastforward

Guest fastforward

My cousin bought a crappy electric supercharger the other day, and I must say it looks like a piece of crap. There is no way these things can work, right?

There are already threads on this, you can search for a full explanation. But the short version is yes, you've been duped.

The simple explanation being that to supercharge a car, a true mechanical compressor eats between 10 and 30 HP. That's (at 20 HP) roughly 15 KW. The alternator on a typical car produces 500W (0.5 KW) and on larger engines with more optional components, it goes as high as 1000W (1KW).

There isn't enough electrical power on a car to run a supercharger. No electrical supercharger will ever do the trick unless you fit very expensive batteries (and boost for a few seconds while charging 8 hours) or 10 more mechanical generators. If you fit a generator you can fit a compressor.

Don't waste your time installing the fan, it will most likely do nothing (on small engines, <2000 cmc) or become a restriction in the intake (larger engines).

• 2 weeks later...
Guest tdister

SPAM

This guy is a spammer, he is posting these threads to get his page ranked higher on search engines. Please delete thread (and ban, I hope) to hinder his efforts. Thanks

/Trust me, he'll be back in a couple days to add his link if this thread is still here.