Home networking help please :-)

wolfson

Im looking for a program that will auto-update the files on my home network, i.e. on computer 1, i create a txt file, i would like computer 2 to auto-update its files and "take this one in" any help would be much appreciated. thank you.

You could use Rsync: -

http://samba.anu.edu.au/rsync/

Instructions for installing on Windows are here: -

http://optics.ph.unimelb.edu.au/help/rsync/rsync_pc1.html

It will automatically synchronise files/directories between machines.

Or, you could just share a directory from computer2, and use the shared files on computer1. Less mucking about that way.

LuTze said

It will automatically synchronise files/directories between machines. 

He means that it will update the files betwen BOTH computers (kind of the way that you wanted it to be)

LuTze said

Or, you could just share a directory from computer2, and use the shared files on computer1. Less mucking about that way.

If you right click on a folder, then click the sharing tab, you can SHARE that folder. This means that this folder will appear on all the computers on the network! They can use this folder as much as they want. You may want to consider about denying editting rights to that folder, as people can mess around with the contents and even DELETE them!

I hope this is what u asked for!

edit:

If you want to know how to deny editting rights, just tell me! Its a little long and complex!

I am also trying to set up a internet sharing thingy, between my dsl computer and my other one, and im having trouble i have a 4-port cable/DSL Gateway router, and im trying to get it to work, and im having NO joy, do I :

1. Connect both computer using ethernet cables or

2.Connect them using the router???

When trying anything its just going wrong im c**p with computers, any help would be appreciated right now!!!!!!!!

You need to connect both machines to the router, then the router to the dsl line.

Without knowing anything about the router that you're using and having not used one myself, I can't really be any more specific, soz!

hmmm... is the server on? Is it connected to the internet? Then, check if internet connection sharing is enabled on that comp.

That's all i can think of. Oh yeah, check if the other comps. IP's have a default gateway linking to the main comps. IP address

I'll post more as i can think of them

I would tend not to use a router on a small network, and configue an internet facing host as firewall/router. Is your router/modem inegrated or are they seperate units?

Check your LAN: run ipconfig/ifconfig on each machine and check the the netsettings all must be on the same network. ie 192.168.1.x/255.255.255.0. Also try pinging the loopback interface (ping 127.0.0.1) on each machine to check the interfaces. Then try pinging other hosts on the network and your router. You cant use x.x.x.0 or x.x.x.255 as ip address as they have special uses.

Also using crossover cables with a hub or normal cables peer to peer is a bad idea (I discovered this through experience) :)

Once all your machines can communicate with each other and the DSL line is up try tracerouting your isp or something on the internet (tracert router.myisp.net) traceroute displays the path your packets take over a network. You should see a hop to your router then a hop to your ISP's router and beyond untill you hit a firewall or a host that can't route your packets. If you get a network not accessable error then your routing table is not setup correctly which indicates that either a gateway is not specified or the localhost and router are on different networks/subnets so check the TCP/IP settings.

When tracerouting / pinging the internet use an ip address and then a host name to determine if your DNS resolver is configured and working.

hope this help