Where to start

helixrenovator

I want to learn some type of computer programming language, but have absolutely no clue as to where to begin my learning, or what is the least complicated, (though I suppose thats a silly thing to say, since anything having to do with computers has to be at a certain level of complexity, and if its below that, then, well, it shouldn't exist in the computer programming collective). I'm only in my freshmen year of high school, but I feel the earlier the better. I have attempted doing research on various computer languages, but without much direction, I do a belly flop on cement, breaking a few ribs. So do you, who I gather are much more experienced, have any advise as to where to start?

C++ is probably the best all-around language for programming I would have thought, but LuTze will be able to tell you more about that.

Computer game programming can be quite demanding. Depending on what you're doing, you may find you need a range of skills such as programming, 2D and 3D art etc.

From my experience, Pascal seems to be taught as a 'learner' language in schools - it's procedural and a good introduction to programming concepts. From there C is your best bet if you want something that's used everywhere. It is the grand-daddy of programming languages.

If you want something a liitle easier, try scripting languages first. Python is quite nice, PHP is OK for web stuff but a little lightweight for much else and there is always Perl - the mother of all scriping lanuages.

There are some nice Python introductions here: -

http://www.python.org/topics/learn/

• 3 weeks later...

Here is the tested and approved course by me for learning programming. I am still on the last stage by the way!

1. Some Sort of BASIC Language (ex. BASIC, QBASIC etc.)

I used QBASIC along with Mallard's BASIC BASIC Tutorial. Know the main QBAISC commands in a week. It is that simple.

2. Visual Basic.

I use Visual Basic 4.0 (I need an upgrade). Probably you would want 6.0 or .NET. VB is the Win32 version of QBASIC but not actually written by Bill Gates himself ;-)

3. C/C++

I am starting to learn C++. This is pretty much the last step but you might want to go onto Visual C++. You can dl a free C++ Compiler off Sourceforge or Bloddshed.org I think.

Hope this course will help you.

btw, On a side not, I was looking at a Sam's Publishing book in the store (I highly recommend yu use those to teach yourself VB and C) and they had a book just for learning Programming. It said to do BASIC, VB, Java, and then C++. Personally, I don't think you should do Java because most people say you don't need to know it but of course, it depends on what you are going to do.