Has the Universe Stopped Expanding?

budcamp

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

budcamp said in post # :

Have you looked into an oven and seen your cake boiling? also cakes bake at about 325 f. That is nowhere near three times boiling temp.

Bud

Why would the whole cake boil?

It's not important how hot the oven gets, only that we know it significantly exceeds the boiling point of water.

What I have done MrL_JaKiri is to show a way this theory can be proved or disproved. That is not going to be done on this site and it is not going to be done by amateurs.

It needs a computer way beyond the capacity of mine to correlate the data now available. It may also need additional observations to establish if the horizon is actually there.

I post on these sites to see if there are any obvious errors before I submit it to professional review.

Bud

Cap'n Refsmmat

You said “I know I can talk cosmology!”

Well lets see what you think of these questions I asked Radical Edward.

How fast is space expanding?

Why is nothing blue shifted beyond a billion light years distant?

Are other local groups also contracting?

At what distance does a given mass stop the effects of the expansion of Space relative to that mass?

Sayonara³

As to water. If you take a bag of concrete, add five gallons of water and mix it, in one hour it will be a block of rock, and no water in sight. The water became part of a chemical reaction.

If the water in the cake boiled, the entire oven would have been filled with steam!

Try it. Experimenting is good!

Bud

budcamp said in post # :

Ok Edward, lets see what you think about a few things. Then we can go on from there.

How fast is space expanding?

v = H0 D

Why is nothing blue shifted beyond a billion light years distant?

because the expansion > local velocities.

Are other local groups also contracting?

yes.

At what distance does gravity stop affecting the expansion of the universe?

never. inverse square law though.

budcamp said in post # :

Sayonara³

As to water. If you take a bag of concrete, add five gallons of water and mix it, in one hour it will be a block of rock, and no water in sight. The water became part of a chemical reaction.

True, but nobody I know makes a cake out of concrete :P

If you mix the ingredients and leave them in a cake tin on the work surface, will you end up with a cake?

No. The reaction only occurs because you heat the mixture to temperatures in excess of the boiling point of water. If all the ingredients reacted and made a cake before heating, there would be no need to invest energy in the reaction, would there?

[edit] Actually it occurs that concrete and water have an exothermic reaction, whereas baking a cake is endothermic. They aren't really comparable. [/edit]

If the water in the cake boiled, the entire oven would have been filled with steam!

Try it. Experimenting is good!

Bud

Not necessarily. You're proposing there that all the water turns to steam, when in fact that has not been claimed. What has been claimed is that the water boils, which it most certainly does. Some of it does indeed turn into steam, and escapes into the oven.

I don't need to experiment with this; I can simply recall all the occasions where I have checked on the progress of a cake, loaf or similar in the oven.