3rd teenager gunned dead in London in 11 days.

the tree

why do you think that the people in your city are more responsible? why has places like detroit developed badly in terms of gun crime?

I don't know how else to describe it other than "cultural differences"

I could certainly see places like New York and Detroit wanting to ban guns.

I think its similar in the US, where there's a gang culture there's gun violence.

near my hometown there are two cities, Stamford and Bridgewater, which are currently in the midst of a gang war. I met a guy at the dineer the other day who heard a drive-by right next to his house the other day.

Likewise in my hometown there are a large number of gun owners who use guns to hunt or just go shooting. There is not a single gun crime in my hometown.

I presume that these areas you and bascule are talking about are 'deprived: low unemployment, high percentage of drop-outs etc.

I think that maybe people fall into that sort of culture because they don't think they could do anything else. You know, their sort of stuck there so they go with flow.

Do you think if they were shown more opportunities as kids then a small percentage of them would be inspired? And over time more and more would listen as the mind-set changed.

meh stories about schools getting sponsored and producing kids who go on to various colleges are a dime a dozen. in short it is a question about motivation, however I think its also enviromental. Places like cities easily allow one to make significant amounts of money by just dropping out of school, its not like the burbs where the only thing you could see yourself doing is either going to college and escaping, or working at a dunkin donuts for the rest of your life.

Also gun crime is not directly related to drop-out rates, you can find hundreds of small towns out in the midwest with dropout rates between 50 and 80 percent, these towns may not even develop large amounts of crime, however they will tend to be impoverished, and that does lend itself to crime.

Statement of bias

I as well am a highschool dropout, but now I go to a university.