Time unexplainable

wilgory

So we can't see it, we can't perceive it, it offers no freedom of motion, but we should treat all dimensions equally. And:

The key word you missed was "Directly". We can observe it, just not directly. We can not directly observe an electron, but we can indirectly observe it. You can't (at the moment) directly observe me, but you can observe the effect I have (namely this post and others) and infer my existence and some of my properties).

So, we can observe the effect this Dimension has on our world, and our perceptions of the world.

What you also failed to realise is that even though we can not directly observe the Time dimension, it still has a direct observational effect. Namely that we have a perception of Time.

What I mean is that if we can observe change over a period of time, then we can infer that Time can be measured.

If time can be measured, then it exists at least as a conceptual dimensions. We can then look for actual physical effects of this dimension (time distortions, rotations between space and time, etc) and if we can observe these, then we can know that Time is an actual physical dimension.

This is what has occurred and been observed, therefore we can infer that Time is a dimension and that it is a dimension as real as Space.

Can your position be stated: We know all there is to know about Time and the higher dimensions.?

No. But it can be stated that if a physical dimension has an effect that we can observe' date=' then we can make inferences about that dimension through those effects.

I would appreciate any comments on wether we are or aren't fully percieving the higher dimension(s).

Not directly observing them, but we might be able to observe their effect on the objects and dimensions we can see.

If all dimensions are distortable like space and time, then we might be able to rotate one (or more) of these higher dimensions so that we can directly observe it. But this would take massive amounts of energy to do.

Edtharan,

Thanks for the clarification.

I never intended to imply only direct observation. Future references to observation will mean all valid observation. ESP will remain suspect.

To all,

While I'm not sure of any of this, here is my position:There are limits to our ability to observe our universe. Some are recognized by current theories.

Limit #1- apriori - In relativity, this is the inability to define space, time and mass. An example would be trying to observe beyond our space-time continuim.

This deadend is a roadblock that is infinite and inpenetrable.

Limit#2- The Uncertainty Principle - In quantum physics and well beyond me.

It does seem that it is a limit to further investigation just by it's nature.

Maybe we can think of this as the end of the road. Not blocked but nowhere to go.

Limit#3- The speed of light - This somewhat limits us to observations within our local observable universe.

The road leads on but it gets bumpy and slow.

Limit#4- Blackholes, dark matter, and dark energy - These I will call "obstructions" not completely observable. This leads me to wonder about possible connections to the other "limits".

On the road to the theory of everything this would be a traffic jam backed up so far we can't see the cause.

This post is an attempt to clarify my thoughts. I expect criticism, preferably constructive. Lacking that, humourous will still be appreciated. If neither of these can be found. Let's not waste our time.