Please help if you can

missmonson

My husband has bent pinkies which is a single gene trait that he did not seem to inherit from his parents or grandparents in this case would it be considered a gene mutation and be a homozygous dominant with both allell's being dominant and therefore 100% of his offspring having bent pinkies? He has 2 sons and both of them have bent pinkies could he have a third that does not if he is a true homozygous dominant? Would a mutation that appeared first in him be homozygous dominant?

Any help that I could get in this topic would be greatly appreciated.

• 5 months later...

First of all its really not that big A deal. and second yes you are correct but I think you need get the two sons DNA tested and matched with their fathers and when you find the problem gene or whatever, depending on what contry you are in you can get gene therepy to fix it I suggest china.

i could be wrong but as i understand it there is a x and y chromosome if the gene is dominant then only one of these chromosomes need to carry the gene. if the gene is attached to the y chromosome then necessarily if the children are boys they must have this trait since the only source of y chromosome is the one of the father. but if he would have a daughter she may not have this trait, or carry the gene.

Maybe both his parents had 1 bent pinkie gene and 1 non-bent pinkie gene.

The bent pinkie gene is recessive, which is why it doesn't show up in either parent, but he has both of them which is why it shows.

Maybe you have 1 recessive bent-pinkie gene and 1 non-bent pinkie gene too, you just happened to pass on your bent pinkie gene, both times...

The father has a bent pinkie though, so it is more likely that is is dominant or else both of the fathers parents had to have the same random mutation and so did his wife so that the children have bent pinkies and that's alot of random mutations that happen to coincide and that seems very unlikely though not impossible i guess.

Or maybe the random mutation occurred several hundred generations ago and has been around the Gene Pool for a while...

But yeah, it could just be a inheritable mutation in Mr. Missmonson that's dominant.

Occam's electric shaver, and all that...