Thermal energy and stuff

cookies

I need help with hw .. heres the question please correct me if i am rong

Ice is put in a cooler in order to cool the contents. To speed up the cooling process, the ice can be

A. Wrapped in newspaper

B. Kept out of contact with the food

C. crushed.

D. Drained of Ie water periodicly.

ANSWER: C. crushed. <-- pretty sure Crushed will have a larger surface area, therefore a larger area that can be cooled at once

A volume of air has a temperature of 0degrees Celsius. An equal volume of air that is twice as hot has a temperature of

A. 100degree Celsius

B. 0degree Celsius

C. 2degree Celsius * i think its this one not sure*

D. 273degree Celsius

ANSWER: B. 0degree Celsius, I thought of this as a math problem because of the key word "is" which means multiply .. so 0 times 2=0

Compared to a glass of ice water with ice in it, a glass of plain ice-cold water without ice on a warm day will warm up

A. Faster * i think its this 1 not 100% sure*

B. Slower

C. In the same amount of time.

ANSWER: C I think its in the same amount of time because even though both are not the same, they still warm up in the same rate.

In the mountains, water boils at

A. a lower temperature than at sea level

B. Higher temperature than at sea level

C. Same temperature as at sea level

ANSWER: A Since the mountain is really high it takes a lower temperature? thats just a guess i am not sure.

When a volume if air is compresed, its temperature

A. Increase * im like 90% sure*

B. Decrease

C. Neither

When a volume of air is compresed, its temperature

A. Increase

B. Decrease

C. Neither

ANSWER: A When volume increase temperature decrease but when volume is compressed temperature is increease? i think thats how it works

If an object radiates more energy than it absorbs, it's

A. temperature decreases

B. Thermal energy decreases

C. Both of these

ANSWER: C I think when anything radiates more energy than it absorbs, it has something to do with both temperature decrease and thermal energy decrease

The reason the sun's radiate energy is of shorter wave lenths than the Earth's is because the sun

A. Has a higher temperature than Earth

B. Has much more thermal energy

C. is an energy source while the Earth is primily an energy reciever

ANSWER: i am clueless rite here please help :D

I need help with hw .. heres the question please correct me if i am rong

Ice is put in a cooler in order to cool the contents. To speed up the cooling process, the ice can be

A. Wrapped in newspaper

B. Kept out of contact with the food

C. crushed.

D. Drained of Ie water periodicly.

ANSWER: C. crushed. <-- pretty sure Crushed will have a larger surface area, therefore a larger area that can be cooled at once

Right

A volume of air has a temperature of 0degrees Celsius. An equal volume of air that is twice as hot has a temperature of

A. 100degree Celsius

B. 0degree Celsius

C. 2degree Celsius * i think its this one not sure*

D. 273degree Celsius

ANSWER: B. 0degree Celsius, I thought of this as a math problem because of the key word "is" which means multiply .. so 0 times 2=0

I dont know why you think "is" means multiply, it just means is. But regardless, you are wrong. 0 degrees is a temperature, so twice as hot cannot be the same temperature, even if the math seems to indicate it. 0 degrees celcius = 273 Kelvin. So the correct answer is 273 degrees celcius

Compared to a glass of ice water with ice in it, a glass of plain ice-cold water without ice on a warm day will warm up

A. Faster * i think its this 1 not 100% sure*

B. Slower

C. In the same amount of time.

ANSWER: C I think its in the same amount of time because even though both are not the same, they still warm up in the same rate.

Faster. The one with ice will heat up more slowly... because there is ice in, obviously. A is correct.

In the mountains, water boils at

A. a lower temperature than at sea level

B. Higher temperature than at sea level

C. Same temperature as at sea level

ANSWER: A Since the mountain is really high it takes a lower temperature? thats just a guess i am not sure.

Yes, higher altitude means lower pressure, means less energy required to make the water boil, so lower temperature. A is right.

When a volume if air is compresed, its temperature

A. Increase * im like 90% sure*

B. Decrease

C. Neither

When a volume of air is compresed, its temperature

A. Increase

B. Decrease

C. Neither

ANSWER: A When volume increase temperature decrease but when volume is compressed temperature is increease? i think thats how it works

Yup

If an object radiates more energy than it absorbs, it's

A. temperature decreases

B. Thermal energy decreases

C. Both of these

ANSWER: C I think when anything radiates more energy than it absorbs, it has something to do with both temperature decrease and thermal energy decrease

Correct.

The reason the sun's radiate energy is of shorter wave lenths than the Earth's is because the sun

A. Has a higher temperature than Earth

B. Has much more thermal energy

C. is an energy source while the Earth is primily an energy reciever

ANSWER: i am clueless rite here please help :D

The other questions were things usually taught in a chemistry class, but this is very much a physics question, and not one a layperson would likely know. A would be the best answer, B would be correct, but not really the answer, C doesn't have anything to do with the question.

• 2 months later...