need a bit of integration help here.

insane_alien

god i feel dirty for doing this but i have a total mental block on two problems so i just need a point in the right direction.

number 1 is:

Find a solution of the differential equation

Dy/Dx=(2x^2+y^2)/(2xy) (x>0 , y>0)

which satisfies y=1 and x=1

and number 2 is:

(1+x)Dy/Dx + 4y = 1/(x+1) (x (cannot equal sign) -1)

First one is possibly seperation of variables, but the easiest option is probably using an integration factor. I *think* you should be able to get it into the correct form. I have some quick notes on the method for solving first order differntial equations on my other computer I'll pull them out and post them later. Thinking about this one there is a third method called the exact method that might work, I shall check my notes later and get back to you...

This second one is most certainly an integrating factor ODE, it's just getting it in the correct form P(x)dy+Q(x)ydx = 0 and then solving a set of simple equations.

Well, I see still no solution. I'll give a few hints, but you'll have to derive the solution yourself.

dy/dx = (2x² + y²) / 2xy

Reorganize and integrate in y:

2xy dy = 2x²dx + y²dx

xd(y²) = 2x²dx + y²dx

Now, substitute y² = z

xdz = 2x²dx + zdx

Now, with some rearranging, and dividing left and right by x, you have a linear equation in z, with non-constant coefficients and non-homogeneous:

dz/dx - (1/x)z = 2x

This one is easy to solve (I assume you know how to solve first order linear differential equations, even if they have non-constant coefficients and are non-homogeneous).

Try to continue from this point. I am willing to help you further with this, but first try yourself from this point. It still is not really easy, but I think you can do it from this point. Indeed, the original problem was not easy.

Is your answer to the first one y = √(-x + 2x²) ?

The equation has solutions of the form y = √(Ax + 2x²), with any A > 0, but when you need the trajectory of the solution to go through (1,1), then A = -1.

Btw, what is meant with the term "integration factor" in this context? I learned solving this kind of equations more than 20 years ago, but at that time, this term was never used.