really need help with win xp pro (T-3 days)

padren

I've had a [re]activation misfunction in my computer and it freaks out saying it needs to be reactivated due to hardware changes. I click the thing for more details on the activation failure, and it just sends me to a page on MS to buy another copy.

I have my product key right here, but the software never even gives me a chance to enter it in.

I just wasted an hour or so on the MS site - can anyone give me any advice in this situation? I *really* don't want to reinstall windows, though if some sort of repair will work I'd be happy with that.

It says I have 3 days before it does some Mission Impossible bs to my computer - any advice is MUCH appreciated.

PS: The sheer irony that a number of my friends use hacked copies just to avoid glitches in activation.....whereas I actually bought the stinking thing and am now dealing with this.

Erm, I'm not exactly sure what you're problem is. Can you post the exact error message and what it says it might do in 3 days.

If it is something to do with WGA (Windows Genuine Advance) which throws up error messages such as this:

http://www.mydigitallife.info/wp-content/uploads/2006/04/wga-notification1.jpg

and this:

http://www.mydigitallife.info/wp-content/uploads/2006/04/wga-notification3.jpg

then you can solve your problem in many ways. Please read through these sites:

1) http://www.mydigitallife.info/2006/04/26/disable-and-remove-windows-genuine-advantage-notifications-nag-screen/

2) http://blog.mypapit.net/2006/05/windows-genuine-advantage-tattoo-cracks.html

3) http://blog.tmcnet.com/blog/tom-keating/technology-and-science/microsoft-genuine-advantage-cracked.asp

I have known this problem to come up on a few different winXP computers. Funnily enough all of the people with Windows Genuine issues have all been using legal versions of Windows. The people I know using illegal OSs have never had this issue. You gotta love MS!

If this is not your problem then I've misunderstood your post so could you please be more specific. When do you get the error? What does it say? What MS page does it link to? Can you continue to use the computer normally? etc.

Call Microsoft. When my computer said my key had been used too many times (I have to reinstall every 6 months!) I just called, they asked "is this copy of windows on more than one computer" (the correct anwser is "no"), and then they gave me an code to type it. I'm sure you experience may be similar. They have so many problems that the techs are probably used to just giving what you need :P

Of course, you could just become a pirate and learn how to get around it :P Makes you wonder why MS would do this... Windows problems probably create more pirates in the US than anything else. As a result we don't see it as such a bad thing. I know a bunch of pirates, sometimes I'm a pirate. Stop treating us like pirates and maybe we'll stop being pirates ARRGH :D

Makes you wonder why MS would do this... Windows problems probably create more pirates in the US than anything else. As a result we don't see it as such a bad thing. I know a bunch of pirates, sometimes I'm a pirate. Stop treating us like pirates and maybe we'll stop being pirates ARRGH :D

gotta laugh when the best option is to buy a legal version of the OS, get a hold of a cracked version, and then install the cracked version and keep the bought-version on your shelf so that it's all legal*.

or at least it used to be... they probably come pre-installed with rootkits nowadays...

*at least from your pov. modding and redistributing windows is still illegal. but sod it, it's like copy-protection on dvd's: i have a legal right to copy dvds that i have bought for personal use, and by preventing me from doing so they're forsing me to get (still perfectly legal) copys of my dvds via bit-torrent, thus legitamising the whole thing.

[/rant]

like demo and klaynos said, this is pretty simply solved by phoning ms. and swearing at them.

A friend of mine in Iraq sent me this link which was REALLY helpful - thanks again everyone for responding:

http://articles.techrepublic.com.com/5100-1035_11-5034890.html

I would have called MS but (probably because I have an OEM version) they would charge me $35 just to use the chat on their website, which I didn't want to do.

Thanks again :)

*at least from your pov. modding and redistributing windows is still illegal. but sod it' date=' it's like copy-protection on dvd's: i have a legal right to copy dvds that i have bought for personal use, and by preventing me from doing so they're forsing me to get (still perfectly legal) copys of my dvds via bit-torrent, thus legitamising the whole thing.

[/quote']

I think breaking copy protection is legal in the UK (as long as you own it), but not in the US. I think it's federal law?

• 4 weeks later...
I've had a [re]activation misfunction in my computer and it freaks out saying it needs to be reactivated due to hardware changes. I click the thing for more details on the activation failure, and it just sends me to a page on MS to buy another copy.

I have my product key right here, but the software never even gives me a chance to enter it in.

I just wasted an hour or so on the MS site - can anyone give me any advice in this situation? I *really* don't want to reinstall windows, though if some sort of repair will work I'd be happy with that.

It says I have 3 days before it does some Mission Impossible bs to my computer - any advice is MUCH appreciated.

PS: The sheer irony that a number of my friends use hacked copies just to avoid glitches in activation.....whereas I actually bought the stinking thing and am now dealing with this.

i have three things in my mind.

1. maybe you clone your hardrive then put to another computer

2. maybe you change your motherboard

3. or your been attacked by virus (and it just sends me to a page on MS to buy another copy. )