EEI Highschool Help

Inspiration

hey, i am a gr.11 studuent who has just been given an EEI regaurding (really a number of topics, but my chosen one would be of: ) either the refractive index of certain liquids or investigating stress-strain of polymeres via Polarization (polarizer patterns).

Would anyone have any suggestions regaurding the procedure for either? The first my partner should know a bit about ( i missed a large unit of work), but advice is still more than welcome. However the second of the two we have not touched on in our studies, and i personally find polarization interesting... so thanks for your time if you care to donate it :D

The second one is a little advanced topic.

In breif:

A scattering polarizer is created by subjecting a polymer dispersed liquid crystal film to tensile strain. The optomechanical properties of the film are investigated by simultaneously measuring the stress-strain and polarization dependent optical transmission characteristics. The correlation between transmittances of two orthogonal polarizations and the stress-strain curve reveals that the polymer orientation as well as the droplet shape anisotropy influences the liquid crystal alignment within the droplets. A Monte Carlo simulation based on the P. A. Lebwohl-G. Lasher [Phys. Rev. A 6, 426 (1972)] model is used to explain the subtle influence of polymer orientation on liquid crystal alignment.

Photomechanics is used and you need electronic transducers to measure the deflections. If you plan to just write about the phenominon then take a look at this paper.

Regards

Having worked with people who have had to do things like this as a side line to their proper experiments then yep I know how you could go about investigating these phenomena, the first would be considerably easier than the second and ALOT less error prone. Yeah for the brewsters angle!

thanks for the info, our physics teacher has just got some polrized platic , (unsure of the term)"pieces" in. Not too high tech, but still effective. help is much appreciated. Although if anyone can think of a low budget experiment (highschool student, shall i say more?) using other methods please feel free to post suggestions.

Thanks alot, my partner and I appreciate it!

Having worked with people who have had to do things like this as a side line to their proper experiments then yep I know how you could go about investigating these phenomena, the first would be considerably easier than the second and ALOT less error prone. Yeah for the brewsters angle!

BTW, what would those methods entail? Accurcy is a major point in our school (moreso precision i suppose) but would this second "accurate" method possibly be available in schooling systems, or easy (budgeted) to obtain the materials for?