Does ANYONE know how to solve this Problem?

cobra

Does ANYONE know how to solve this Heat of Vaporization problem? My teacher is HORRIBLE, we haven't really learned any of this, and she gives it to us. and I'm completely lost. If you can, can you walk me through the problem?

Problem: A chunk of sodium metal is cautiously dropped into a mixture of 50.0g of water and 50.0g of ice, both at 0 degrees C. The reaction is:

2Na(s) + 2H20(l) --> 2NaOH(aq) + H2(g) Enthalpy: -368 kJ

Will the ice melt? Assuming that the final mixture has a specific heat capacity of 4.18 J/g C, calculate the final temperature. The enthalpy of fusion for ice is 6.02 kJ/mol

Melting ice to water takes 6.02 kJ/mol you write. How many mols of ice do you need to melt? You have 50 grams of ice, you can compute how many mols that are (it is somewhere between 2 and 3, but you have to do the math yourself). If you know how many mols of ice need to be melted, then you can compute how much energy is needed in total.

Now the other side. Howe much energy is released? This depends on the amount of sodium added. You did not specify the size of the chunk of sodium. Is the number of 368 kJ the total amount released? Or is this per mol of sodium? This must be specified.

If all ice melts, then the remaining energy can be used to heat up the water.

I can tell you, that if the number of 368 kJ is the total amount, then all water will be vaporized and still a LOT of energy remains. Probably you did not give all information, needed to solve this problem.

If