Nitrating Sodium Hydroxide With Out Nitric Acid

KFC

I came across a formula for Nitroglycerine in a book. The directions said I could use Potassium Nitrate instead of Nitric Acid, could I do this with Sodium Hydroxide and all Nitrating Process?

BTW:

I'm not making Nitroglycerine, and this process obviously uses Sulfuric Acid.

OK,

Heres what I meant :

Glycerine Is slowly added to a 50:50 mix of concentrated Nitric and Sulfuric Acid under controlled temperature conditions; wash with Sodium Bicarbonate solution. Potassium Nitrate may be used instead of Nitric Acid

I was wondering if you could apply using Potassium Nitrate instead of Nitric Acid when making Sodium Nitrate from Sodium Hydroxide and with other applications that require Nitric Acid?

Keep in mind that the reaction between sodium hydroxide and nitric acid is of a completely different type than a nitrating reaction of some organic (e.g. an alcohol, or glycerol).

The reaction between sodium hydroxide and nitric acid is a simple acid/base reaction, the reaction with the organics is an esterification reaction.

You cannot use KNO3 and NaOH to make NaNO3. KNO3 is the least soluble combination in a mix of K(+), Na(+), OH(-) and NO3(-) ions. Sometimes this kind of reactions can be done, when the desired end-product is less soluble. With NaNO3 and KOH you could make (with some difficulty) KNO3.

In general, KNO3 (or NaNO3) cannot be used in real nitration reactions. Such reactions also require a strong acid. Some nitration reactions work with a paste, made of conc. H2SO4 and KNO3, but then the H2SO4 is giving the acid.

What if I wanted to Nitrate something organic and it decomposes before Ammonium Nitrate Does?

Another question, I found a formula for Copper Fulminate. It asks for you to add Copper to Nitric acid then add ethanol. Is it possible that I can just add Copper Nitrate and ethanol?

BTW:

I have Nitric Acid but Nitrate salts are a lot cheaper and I'm trying to make I'm own drop poppers out of Copper Nitrate and I'm only making a little.

I`m sorry (well no, I`m not actualy) but if you have to ask such Fundemental questions about these things, you have no business even Atempting to be anywhere near them, let alone try and Make them!

I`m closing this thread now, trying to start another along similar lines will earn you TWO lots of Hazmat warnings KFC!

for NOW, be happy that I`m just closing it.