Barium (Oxidisers)

YT2095

I started with a couple 100g of technical grade Barium Carbonate, so I`m making a variety of different salts with it of a greater purity for use later.

I have the Chloride, that stuff`s fine.

I have the Chlorate, but over time the pure clear crystals seem to turn white and go to powder?

today Im making the Nitrate, and I`ve noticed that I end up with a ppt almost half the same amount of the barium cabonate I`ve added?

this didn`t happen when it was added to HCl, only a Tiny amount didn`t dissolve.

I`m using 20% Nitric so I don`t think it`s a solubility issue, any ideas?

yeah, so was thinking what I might do, is add Plenty water to this PPT heat to dissolve and then filter, then add K2CO3 to get pure barium carb again, pour off the KNO3 soln was and dry the new barium carbonate PPT, leaving me with a much cleaner product.

either that or I`ll go the Chloride route, both work equaly well :)

any idea why the Chlorate seems to decompose over time?

The common form of barium chlorate, when made from aqueous solution is Ba(ClO3)2.H2O. This is the crystalline form. However, on storage, this stuff effloresces, which means that it slowly gives off its water and the crystal structure then is destroyed. So, you get powdered Ba(ClO3)2, which has lost its molecule of water of crystallization.

This is a very common effect. It also is known for washing soda, Na2CO3.10H2O. On storage, this material (nice transparent crystals) also becomes powdery, due to loss of water and accompanied destruction of the crystal lattice.