The bi capital of the world

Skye

Bi-partisan that is ;)

Looking at the Queensland election this weekend, the interesting thing about Australian politics has been two trends over the last few years. One is that at the federal level the right wing parties have been becoming increasing dominant. They have been in power for ten years and now control both houses of parliament. The other is that at the state (and territory) level the left wing parties have been becoming increasing dominant. Every state and territory government is left wing. What this means is that people are voting for different parties at different elections. People presumably see through the rhetoric and are voting for what they feel is the best party. That has to be a good thing right?

Bi-partisan that is ;)

Looking at the Queensland election this weekend' date=' the interesting thing about Australian politics has been two trends over the last few years. One is that at the federal level the right wing parties have been becoming increasing dominant. They have been in power for ten years and now control both houses of parliament. The other is that at the state (and territory) level the left wing parties have been becoming increasing dominant. Every state and territory government is left wing. What this means is that people are voting for different parties at different elections. People presumably see through the rhetoric and are voting for what they feel is the best party. That has to be a good thing right?[/quote']

knowing zero about Ozitics, this looks to American eyes as if immigration is a defining issue.

the conservative is seen as the selfish party so you elect them to National office because you want a bulwark of selfishness to keep other people out so you can enjoy the good life

the liberal party is seen as the altruist party so you elect them to manage local affairs because you expect them to look after general welfare and not sell out to corporations so much, and maybe altruism works OK within a finite well-defined closed group.

they want to be selfish and xenophobe at the federal level and friendly-egalitarian at the regional-local-----OK maybe that could explain the split voting pattern.

just a guess, could be explained other ways for sure

(BTW I'm not saying selfish and xenophobe is BAD. at times it is necessary for society to work so appropriate in the right context---I'm trying to make a practical statement not talk about moral values etc.)

I have said a similar thing about English politics. I often vote differently at local and national level.

The type of politics needed for international affair is not, I think, the same as needed to keep the dustcarts running.