How do LCD displays work?

apollo2011

- How can you put LED's of different colour besides each other if there is only one colour?

(you just proved my point.)

There are even IR LED's, obviously you can't make a full spectrum with one LED but any screen uses 3 base colours so no differents there.

Ah. I see what you are saying now. I thought you were saying that one LED will emit at multiple wavelengths. But most of them only emit at around one particulare wavelength. Sorry for the confusion.

- Yes OLED aren't the same as LED's but they have much more in common with LED's than with LCD's.

True, true. But that was not my point. We were discussing LED not OLEDs. THat was all i was saying :/

- I only have that site as reference but the only obvious disadvantage is lifetime (not brigthness)

Definitely lifetime is a major disadvantage. However, brightness is still somewhat of a problem. As least at certain wavelengths. Right now (or as of 3 months ago, wich is, admittedly quite a long time) people will still having issues finding the righ wavelength of blue light at the needed brightness. Granted they may have found this by now, but last i heard they hadn't.

The reference that i have for this is not a site, unforntunately, but it was a visiting chemist from DOW that stopped by our lab. It was a prettty interesting talk.

And it is not so far away you can even buy some first devices with OLEDs.

I know it is not so far away. The guy from DOW even had a working 15" demo monitor, pretty sweet! And they have made "full color" (in quotes because like i said the color is not quite right yet tv displays that were the size of postage stamps! Completely nuts.

Anyways, i know the OLED's are not that far away from being marketed as large displays. I was just pointing out the problems that i had heard about while chatting with another chemist. thats all.

VendingMenace said in post #26 :

True, true. But that was not my point. We were discussing LED not OLEDs. THat was all i was saying :/

Correct, but not mentioning OLED's after such a statement would be 'wrong' from my point of view.

(although technically correct)

well, if memory serves me correctly, there are 2 types of multi-frequncy LED, the one mentioned above, and another sort that used a kind of bluish UV type light that makes another photo-luminescent chemical re-emit light as white, all built into the same tiny package. the latter looks more convincing at closer inspection, although BOTH at a distance are perfecly adequate for their jobs :)

For those of you who cannot see Kedas' PDF, Go here:

http://216.239.37.104/search?q=cache:A_38NJ6sMdsJ:alpha.qmul.ac.uk/~ugez644/MAT203/LEDs.pdf+&hl=en&ie=UTF-8

Its the Power Of Google!

Sorry, no images.

Thanks Kedas.

------------------------------------------

I myself would like to post this page:

How Stuff Works-How Light Emitting Diodes Work :)