How do you counter port or ping attacts.

Quantoman

i play a online shooting game.

basically lag free until a certain

person joins the game... he in

some way lags down my computer

i have t1 connection speed and my

ping hovers around 34 - 24.

how can it be possible for him to basically

shut down my connection?

all of my movements are at 1/2-1 second

delay.

and it appears that he doesnt have any lag.

is it possible to counter this attact?

btw, i have a 3.4 gh cpu with fsb @ 800mbs

and a 256mb nvidia geforce 6800, also

1gig of ram...

i also have a netgear router...

Do you know what his connection speed is?

If your computer is running very fast, with a fast connection, then chances are the people who play against you will have less speedy machines.

If this person has a much slower machine than you the game server will probably apply a lag to you to compensate - online games are often forced to the slowest player's best speed.

@ sayonara

its like he can turn the lag on and off at will...

it mainly lags harder when i am a head in points.

where as the lag is mild turns into blinking disconnect

icon in the cornner.

i thnik 1veedo is right on the money, this person has

mentioned use a hotkey in a sarcastic way.

@1veedo

how do you make a hotkey?

pls explain, my knowlegde of computer

is knowing where's the on off button.

p.s. moderator pls move this thread to computer help...

BZFlag is an online open source computer game. Making a hotkey is (if I remember) as easy as adding another switch statement for whatever key you want. It would be different depending on the game. (it's not some sort of magic abrakadaba thing)

Your question was already answered Sayonara³. Laggy people slow down speed for everyone, chances are people you've seen slow down a server just live a good bit aways or have a slow connection. This is just something that a lot of bzflag players know cause most bzflag servers are run on home computers. One guy gets on from Europe on an American server w/ 500ms lag and everybody drops from 120~170 to 200~250. The easiest way to decrease lag is to kick the two biggest laggers.

If the server is moderated by a good admin you could signal the issue. He knows the IP and can test his route versus the in-game lag. If they are in-sync, it's probably non-intentional. If not, a ban will be most likely installed.

Just a thought. I'm not really familiar with the game.

i have seen ppls come in the server with a bad

connection and it mainly effects thier play...

we have ppls that play from south africa and do

not effect my connection.

just this person... he is also one of the server

admins.

any suggestions?

Ah, if he is a server admin, then that is a completely different kettle of fish.

He will clearly have the tools to cripple your play. However before we can give you a solution, we need to figure out how he is doing it. What can you tell us about the game?

If the server admin is giving you a hard time I sincerely doubt you can fix it, since you are on the wrong end. IMO, unless you get him to stop, fixing whatever he's doing to you now will probably just spawn another tactic. There are just so many things to go wrong with a connection ...

For example he could be telling the server to ping you or to determine bandwidth. If you reply, you're lagged. If you don't the server will consider you disconnected/timed out and you get kicked.

Sorry to sound grim, but that is one of the reasons I generally hate MMO/multiplayer games. It's simply too easy to ruin. You don't have to disconnect someone, just slow them enough.

He's not doing anything for him to "stop" in the first place. It's not a "port or ping attact," he just happens to be on a bad connection.

Honestly, this is laughable. You think he's trying to DoS Quantoman or something?

Starcraft is like that. Its almost always 1 guy who lags, you boot him from the game and voila! its all good.

However, starcraft is a VERY hacked out game (or is until a new vers comes out and all of them have to start over lol).

I know they have lag hacks that can slow down everyones connection and drop them from a game. Good way to get yourself up on ladder wins :P

the game is on a server hosted by shockwave

on a linux platform

you can modify the game physics, terrain, rounds, ect...

using software (torque game engine.)

the game was made by bravetree, and is sold

through garage games and shockwave.

i know he is doing something, 99.9% is not chance.

and i know he can afford dsl.

he also is a admin and a moderator.

btw i know he has server codes because

he has booted me off a public server three

times. (shockwave are public server)

i rarely use private servers.

i hope there is something i can do...

! ± HTTPObject rankServer getServerMessages %lastMessage %query startRequest %this %callback checkVersion %version %platform %msgId %playCount %publisher %isDemo callback queryInProgress %timeout timeOutSchedule schedule onTimeout %url encrypt %post post cancelRequest cancel onLine %rh strstr %line %start retValue strreplace eval onServerUnavailable onDNSFailed onConnectFailed onDisconnect onConnectRequest onDNSResolved onConnected X msgs^ ver^ ^ 1 6000 /rs/thinktanks/pdata_1_0.asp d= ttrs.21-6.com:80 0 Response: 0^-1 p A QE PE P @ : D I$ *M% -:Q$ *P$ *P$ *PG :

” DI$ *MIDMI$ *MIDMI$ *MIDMI$ *MIDMI$ *MIDMI$ *M% -:Q$ *P$ *P$ *PG :

ÿ $ *I$ *.0 N7:D

I$ *.0 N7:$ )ÙQ$ *P$ *PE PG I$ *.0 N7:òQ$ *PDPE PG I$ *.0 N7:D% -:D1IQ$ *PF M% -:Q$ *PD4P$ *P$ *PG :

ÿB Q$ *.0 4PF :DEI$ *.0 N7:

ÿ¾ DG% -:Q$ *P$ *PF % -:B $ )ÿr $ *.0 2ÿu

DEI$ *.0 N7:Q$ *.0 4PF :QQ$ *P$ *PDRPF PF I$ *.0 N7:Q$ *.0 4PF :

ÿ $ *.0 2ÿÑ

DEI$ *.0 N7:Q$ *.0 4PF :DSI$ *.0 N7:Q$ *.0 4PF :

ÿ Q$ *PG :

ÿ, Q$ *PG :

ÿ? Q$ *PG :

ÿR Q$ *PG :

ÿ]

ÿf

ÿo

'

I Ÿ ¬ ¸ ½ Ù ò ø $ ' % 5 , K - Q / b 0 t 2 u 3 4 6 ¯ < Æ < Ð = Ñ > Ý ? ë @ ÷ F L ! R 4 X G - ¥ g — ^ º [ ± Z † S y @ i - ] I ¿ M : ' D ¹ 0 « ó 9 ) _ e [ N – W # J ’ S C

1 ç ‹ ü ÷ ñ é ¢ ä õ Á Ó ã ‡ - î Ñ Ê å Ú Ç â ¨ ´ Ù Ë } o = Ÿ ¨ ý µ ¸ ž à ¹ — G z Œ F q E h z D _ p C V g B M Z ; = 5 • 6 $ ý œ ‡ ~ - P ‹ H 1 ) J & m d Y I F 6 3 #

ù ï ß Õ Ç Å ± § ƒ y k I 9 ) & ê Û Ï ¿ ° ¤ › ƒ A )

h _ T A . À D ! – <

i found this after playing a game.

i havent seen this file before, can

anyone tell me what it is?

also, any ideas what i should set these values at?

$pref::Master0 = "2:master.garagegames.com:28002";

$Pref::Net::LagThreshold = "400";

$pref::Net::PacketRateToClient = "32";

$pref::Net::PacketRateToServer = "32";

$pref::Net::PacketSize = "450";

$Pref::Server::FloodProtectionEnabled = 1;

Starcraft is like that. Its almost always 1 guy who lags' date=' you boot him from the game and voila! its all good.

However, starcraft is a VERY hacked out game (or is until a new vers comes out and all of them have to start over lol).

I know they have lag hacks that can slow down everyones connection and drop them from a game. Good way to get yourself up on ladder wins :P[/quote']

"Press alt+F4 to to speed up your connection"

PS: don't do it.

! ± HTTPObject rankServer getServerMessages %lastMessage %query startRequest %this %callback checkVersion %version %platform %msgId %playCount %publisher %isDemo callback queryInProgress %timeout timeOutSchedule schedule onTimeout %url encrypt %post post cancelRequest cancel onLine %rh strstr %line %start retValue strreplace eval onServerUnavailable onDNSFailed onConnectFailed onDisconnect onConnectRequest onDNSResolved onConnected X msgs^ ver^ ^ 1 6000 /rs/thinktanks/pdata_1_0.asp d= ttrs.21-6.com:80 0 Response: 0^-1 p A QE PE P @ : D I$ *M% -:Q$ *P$ *P$ *PG :

” DI$ *MID MI$ *MID MI$ *MID MI$ *MID MI$ *MID MI$ *M% -:Q$ *P$ *P$ *PG :

ÿ $ *I$ *.0 N7:D

I$ *.0 N7:$ )ÙQ$ *P$ *PE PG I$ *.0 N7: òQ$ *PDPE PG I$ *.0 N7:D% -:D1IQ$ *PF M% -:Q$ *PD4P$ *P$ *PG :

ÿB Q$ *.0 4PF :DEI$ *.0 N7:

ÿ¾ DG% -:Q$ *P$ *PF % -:B $ ) ÿr $ *.0 2ÿu

DEI$ *.0 N7:Q$ *.0 4PF :QQ$ *P$ *PDRPF PF I$ *.0 N7:Q$ *.0 4PF :

ÿ $ *.0 2ÿÑ

DEI$ *.0 N7:Q$ *.0 4PF :DSI$ *.0 N7:Q$ *.0 4PF :

ÿ Q$ *PG :

ÿ' date=' Q$ *PG :

ÿ? Q$ *PG :

ÿR Q$ *PG :

ÿ']

ÿf

ÿo

'

I Ÿ ¬ ¸ ½ Ù ò ø $ ' % 5 , K - Q / b 0 t 2 u 3 4 6 ¯ < Æ < Ð = Ñ > Ý ? ë @ ÷ F L ! R 4 X G - ¥ g — ^ º [ ± Z † S y @ i - ] I ¿ M : ' D ¹ 0 « ó 9 ) _ e [ N – W # J ’ S C

1 ç ‹ ü ÷ ñ é ¢ ä õ Á Ó ã ‡ - î Ñ Ê å Ú Ç â ¨ ´ Ù Ë } o = Ÿ ¨ ý µ ¸ ž à ¹ — G z Œ F q E h z D _ p C V g B M Z ; = 5 • 6 $ ý œ ‡ ~ - P ‹ H 1 ) J & m d Y I F 6 3 #

ù ï ß Õ Ç Å ± § ƒ y k I 9 ) & ê Û Ï ¿ ° ¤ › ƒ A )

h _ T A . À D ! – <

i found this after playing a game.

i havent seen this file before, can

anyone tell me what it is?

Seems like some kind of automatic error report generated by the game for some reason. The kind of thing that you don't understand (and neither do I), and we are not supposed to!