Screwed up display

Rasori

My family's trying to get me to help them (I'm the most computer-literate among them) and they've run into a problem I've never heard of before. Their monitor is displaying the screen sideways, as in, a 90 degree turn. They actually have it laying on its side so they can read from it.

It's a relatively new monitor (flat panel) attached to a relatively new computer (came together, about a year old), though the computer's been giving them plenty of problems, too. I'm thinking it's either a monitor or a video card issue, and I'm more willing to think video card in this instance because I don't think a monitor can simply mis-interpret like that.

I would tell them to update their video drivers, but the monitor has worked fine for the past year so I don't see any reason why that would change. They haven't installed any new hardware recently. As far as they can tell me, the last software they installed was for an MP3 player over a month ago.

Any ideas on what it is or how it can be fixed?

press ctrl-alt-up or ctrl-alt-down one of those to might fix it
That only works on a few monitors... but still try all possibilities!

And like i_a said. Many of the latest drivers for graphics cards allow the user to rotate the screen virtually.

For my nVidia drivers this is what I do to get to the rotation options:

Desktop

Right click > properties

Settings tab

Advanced

(I then click on the name of my graphics card - top right tab)

Then there's a little green arrow pointing outwards on the left of the window, click that to expand and get a menu

Select NVRotate

Et voila!