Regarding-- Hovercraft designs......

Guest vivekanantha

Guest vivekanantha

Actually i am need of fundamentals that who an Hovercraft works? Also i need some solutions that how can i build those Hovercraft and controlled be remote control.........

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hovercraft

especially see the external links section. ( http://www.hovercraftmodels.com/ http://www.hovercrafters.com/ )

They are pretty simple, the rubber rim along the outer edge extending below the vehicle contains a high pressure volume of air, which escapes by forcing the vehicle up. It doesn't go very "high" - just enough for the air to escape and lower the inside pressure in a ring around the vehicle.

This lift is high enough though to keep it from contacting the surface of the ground, very very greatly reducing friction with the ground as a result.

While it cannot traverse rough terrain, the rubber base is somewhat flexible I believe and as such it can make its way onto beaches and such, or travel on land over fairly flat terrain.

If you want to build one, the intake system will be the biggest factor, since you do have to build up a relatively high pressure below the craft. Balance would be another factor, since if it leaned to one side and allowed the air to escape only on the other side, the heavy side would drag and it would not be manuverable.

I only know the basics, a more expert opinion may be able to clarify or catch points I may have missed.

i built a miniature once, it was a suped-up computer fan.

it didnt have enough power to hold batteries though, but it did remove most of the friction over smooth surfaces if given external power.

i was thinking about building a ride on hover craft built over two half-inflated tyres, i would have used the fans from old vacuum cleaners, they can apply quite a bit of pressure, they're also difficult to stall, a blockage will result in higher fan speeds and a higher pressure.

probably the optimum fan design will be an inertia based system instead of a conventional fan... a standard fan will labour over a blockage, while a fan with a central intake will spin faster.

control systems, if you have a really powerful pump for the skirt, you can vector some of the gas out and control it with a servo.

otherwise, you can have a propellor on a servo mount.

hovercrafts sit very low off the ground, the largest in the world only rises 30cm, my model could'nt get any noticable distance.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest vivekanantha

Hai friends,

Thank you for you usefull replies... I just saw those websites but they

were all readymade kits that we could buy... Actually i need some designs or some diagrams if u had those with u.... Thank u.....

I remember my sister had to build a hovercraft in her 8th grade science class, all it was was a disc of styrofoam with the center cut out, then a small electric motor was placed in the center cut out with a fan attached to it, a piece of construction paper formed the skirt.

The main idea of a hovercraft is to keep a bit of positive air pressure underneath the craft, in order to do this you need two things A: some sort of fan to push air underneath the craft B: you need some sort of "skirt" around the craft to keep the air underneath the craft and help build pressure (this also adds to the stability).

if you want to stear the hovercraft you need an additional fan to provide thrust, along with either a rudder or some method of turning the fan. The latter method is far more efficient, albeit a bit more difficult to use.