WiSci is crap and shouldn't be

Dak

I don't edit wisci because: (check all that apply; annonymose poll)  

1 member has voted

1. 1. I don't edit wisci because: (check all that apply; annonymose poll)

• I voted CHECK THIS OPTION PLEASE
    • I think it's generally rubbish
    • I don't want to have to register
    • because of the letter
    • because of the wikipedia inports
    • because of innacuracy/poor quality articles
    • I used to, but i quit
    • I can't really be bothered
    • wiki editing isn't really my thing
    • No one else does/it's too inactive
    • some other reason (please state)
    • I do.

Since we're supposed to elaborate on the 'other reason' option, here it is.

This pertains purely to my experience of mathematics articles, though that is not to say it is not also true of other subjects.

I do not believe that this website has enough people with anywhere near enough knowledge, or mathematical writing experience, to create a mathematics wiki. The original articles there were very poor indeed, both in presentation and content. The manner of writing, however, seemed to imply that the articles were in some way authoritative, when nothing could be further from the truth. I edited some of them to dispel such things as the opinion that algebra is the study of linear algebra, and so forth, but I have neither the time nor inclination to correct articles (by people writing apparently from the experience of having taken some maths courses whilst majoring in engineering) so that they bear some relation to how mathematics might be more properly viewed from the larger perspective, and I am not sufficiently knowledgeable about mathematics to do that for all, or indeed many, articles.

Planetmath, and wolfram, are far better reference sources for mathematics than WiSci can ever hope to be. That is just realism. You should expunge the mathematics section: it is an embarrassment.