Help with Science Fair!!

scidude

For my science fair project, I am doing it on "is the iris imprint more reliable than the fingerprint?"

But I don't know how to do a scientific experiment to find out that answer. Please could someone help me???

What level of Science are you at? Are you in high school or at a higher level? Perhaps I'm being stereotypical but I'm thinking a high school level because it is a science fair.

If you can't think of an experiment to do, then I think you should switch your science project. Pick a project where you can think of an experiment to do.

Let us know what you do! Good luck! :)

In one of the Security Management and Anti Terrorism fairs I was in lately (yes, I have weird choice for hobbies.. bleh) they addressed a new Iris Imprint device (commercial company, so this was braught with a "we really want you to buy this product" attitude, and should be taken accordingly).

The company's explanation stated a few basic things where Iris imprint is better than Fingerprint:

1. Fingerprint is easier to fake: The fingerprint is created by oil on the hands that is shaped by the crevaces in the skin. Duplicating it with various ways is quite simple, and creates a security risk.

2. Fingerprints tend to change with time: skin, in general, may be damaged, something that changes a person's fingerprint. This, however, was presented as a less of a flaw with fingerprints, since there are devices that can compensate for that.. But it still is something that should be concidered: if a person, for instance, burnt his finger from boiling eggs, he might not be able to use the device and prove his identity.

3. Device maintainance: Fingerprinting devices - since handling direct TOUCH - tend to demand more maintainance, and their usage sometimes allow holes in security measures. For instance, it was proven that it is quite possible to hack fingerprint devices (a simple google search "hack fingerprint scanners" shows how easy it is). Iris scanners, however, are harder to hack, if possible at all.

4. The only main problem with Iris scanner is that it demands much more storage space and processing power. In scanning the Iris, since it is a more delicate organ that contains many subtle unique features, you need to record many more details than when scanning the fingerprint. This is also a plus, though, since when you have more unique-detail refferences, you have a much more reliable system.

On the other hand, it is wise to remember that fingerprint scanners are generally quite accurate (check this site out: http://www.abc.net.au/science/k2/moments/s1579301.htm showing a margine of error of about 0.8%, which is quite negligeable).

As far as I remember from checking the subject back then (it's a bit too late at night for me to re-check this, I'll try to do this tomorrow morning for you), current iris scanners are still not 100% accurate, for the reason of storage and detail-accuracy. But in THEORY, they are a lot more reliable than fingerprinting.

As for an experiment, well, you can try having a person record his fingerprints, eat a donut, and try to log in (his hands are covered with oil, and probably will not be read properly).

You can also try one of the hack-methods mentioned in those many many sites (google "hack fingerprint reader/scanner"), it should prove easy enough to show the unreliability of the device.

I would also recommend (at least to begin to understand how both devices work) to go to these links, for basics:

http://computer.howstuffworks.com/fingerprint-scanner.htm

and

http://science.howstuffworks.com/biometrics.htm

and how to trick a fingerprint scanner (and hence: ideas for your experiment):

http://cryptome.org/gummy.htm

Good luck!

~moo

I think you have misunderstood my question. I am asking whether the iris imprint itself is more reliable than the fingerprint, without using the device's faults to distinguish between one fingerprint from another.

Nevertheless, you have given me another idea.

"How hard is it to fake a fingerprint?"

Do you think this is a more better idea?

I agree that its a better idea, all that you'd have to do to show that the iris imprint is superior is show the number of unique features available for checking on an iris, and then look at how many unique features there are available for checking on a fingerprint

whereas showing how easy it is to fake a finger print takes more effort and is more fitting of a science project

Oh, sorry for that..

But the fingerprinting is less than iris-print for MORE reasons than just the current equipment.. mainly for the reason of how easily fingerprints can be faked (no matter WHAT type of equipment you use..), and also because fingerprints may change.

Unlike the iris, which cannot be faked (not talking about a specific reader, but the iris itself..)

But yes, it sounds like a better idea for a fair. Plus, there's a LOT of info about it online.

Tell us if you need more help :)

~moo

I have looked into this website and I think this method is a experiment I can use to test out my question, "How hard is it to fake a fingerprint?"

http://www.olekasper.no/articles/attacking_fingerprint_sensors.pdf

But in this experiment it uses fingerprint scanners which I don't have I dont and there isn't any in the shops in my local area.

So is there a way to do this without using fingerprint scanners?

You can use yourself as the "reader" --

Take fingerprinting the "old fashioned way" - with ink and paper, and show how easy it can be to have 2 similar images on the paper.

You can also explain HOW these machines work (comparing what types of points on the print) and show how you can fake it in theory.. you don't have to use a real fingerprint reader for that..

But you can probably find a cheap fingerprint reader that can be hooked up to a computer, it might be great for you, since you can program something to show a comparison of two different prints its getting.

~moo

I personally don't think its the greatest of ideas for a high school science fair, just do to the lack of access to available technology to the high school student.

It is already well-established that Iris-prints are extremely accurate, however, the data base of Iris prints is not sufficient to have mass deployment of such technology.

Furthermore, today POS figureprint readers are extremly realiable to don't just read the tip of the figure tips anymore, they are capable of reading the entire palm. In addition the POS figureprints readers don't use ink anymore, they use lasers and they are directly connected to databases that can give your instaneous validation of POS person identity.

I say find another project! If counter-terrorism/forensic is your thing, you may want to go down to your local police department and ask them for a preceptorship in their counter terrorism unit or foresic lab (ask to speak to the lab head or commanding officer of the unit). Believe it or not, they will be very happy to have you spend some time asking questions and showing you the equipment they have and what they use to scientifically address the questions they may have. You will get some ideas and who knows, they may even help you with the project if you come up with a great idea.

Contrary to the idea that cops are outstandish..they are human beings like you and do care about education!