But that would have to be a common ancestor species (or, more likely, family) for all sexual organisms that have ever lived.

that's what i thought, I was guessing it would be something microscopic, and i think it must still be around today because it would be a long process of evolving (how or why hasn't yet been addressed), and small early organisms never die out. Well yeah it is possible, but bacteria have survived everything everything else hasn't, there would have to be a pretty total crisis to whipe them out.

Like YT said, i'm wondering about transitional species.

Skye- that lizard thing is interesting, so are all the lizards like clones of each other? Actually i'm interested, i'm going to look it up on google.

The lizard's called a desert-grassland whiptail.

The problem with protists is that they are a wide range of organisms, and they aren't really all that related to each other, so it's difficult to figure out their relationships, and thus an evolutionary history of sex. Anyway here's a nifty page including all the major groups of protists and their relationships with animals, plants and fungi.

http://www.ucmp.berkeley.edu/alllife/eukaryotasy.html

• 1 year later...
Without either sexes' date=' the fusion process can not occur. A sperm without an egg is nothing and vice versa. And when we can't reproduce, the human race will become extinct.

Come on, think about, without both sexes living in the same world. It would be quite boring right? Then this world would become a place full of homosexuals. And diseases will start to rise. Once again wiping the whole human race. Asking why there is a boy and a girl is like reading God's mind.

Also, without male and female. Think about evolution. It would have some errors in its theory. Because Nature has create this wold in such a way that the male shall compete and fight for their mate. Competition would cease and life would undoubtedly be boring.

I think this question is not really one that can be answer by science alone. Because it reminds me of this question. Why is this universe even created. And what the heck, why are we even here. Sitting in front of the computer and all that stuff. :P

We need the opposite sex not only for sexually desire. (THat's points out one more point. What are the hormones for if there is not opposite sex?) For companionship, as a friend.. Etc. That goes to another point. Mankind's vulnerability of all these things.

Ok. i am talking crap now... it is getting further away from the topic. Ok, plain simple answer. I am not sure myself too. :P[/quote']

i'm gonna bring this back, cuz originally i praised this guy, and now i think he's an idiot. I suppose this came from when i was still partially hypnotized by 'conservative' dogma. Homosexuals whipe out the human race again? what the hell are you talking about?

nice about the champanionship thing, i truly think complements of sexes is beautiful but that has nothing to do with evolution. God is nice, but it does nothing about answering my question.

I sorta already understand it now, but like i said it would be nice to get a better idea by seeing like some example of a primitive form of functional sexes-- to get the idea exactly how there was transfer from reproduction being contained in one body, to the reproductive mechanisms being seperated.

trust me i see how sex is an advantage, but that doesn't explain HOW it came to be.