Windows Vista Public Beta 2

Gaz

I have to say, I didn't think much of Vista at first -- just eye candy, is what I kept saying.

Now having used it for a week, I have to say I'm starting to really like it. The added usability features are actually quite... useful. It's almost addictive how useable this interface is, and the combination of Vista and IE7 is really quite powerful. Toss Office 2007 into the mix and it's a pretty impressive package.

Apple and Linux will certainly be able to compete with this, but MS is definitely raising the bar. The real question is going to be user acceptance. Casual users are going to find Vista almost as daunting as Linux or Macintosh, and if that's the case then both users and (especially small) companies may be prompted to rethink their approach. Vista may well open a door of opportunity here, even as it continues to impress.

I heard a lot of its features have been implimented in Linux and Mac for a while now. I've never tried vista so I wouldn't know, but I heard it had like icons in menues, was more customizable, and a few other things.

It's going to be one of those things were people are just going to have to try it and see for themselves whether they like it or not. I prefer something like KDE over WinXP, and find the Mac OSX interface a bit toy-like, but I know a few people who swear it makes them more productive (than, say, OS 9).

My main point at the moment is just that Vista seems like a major improvement over Windows XP. :)

do you have a linky please?

MS have announced that they do themselves, will post some links when I get home.

Send information about your computer once a week so they can "check" your using a valid key which is just a load of crap because what's all the other information being used for?

Cheers,

Ryan Jones

Cheers.

still theres a hell of alot of people who can't afford this stuff' date=' or just won't upgrade till computer dies . . . Hands up who still owns / works on a computer that runs 95,98,ME, 2000?

Or would be if an XP disc hadn't 'fell' into their laps?[/quote']

Support for win98, 98SE and ME -- including security patches -- ends july 12th. so... everyone with one of those products would be well advised to upgrade. that pretty much means either get XP or get the shiny new Vista.