Hair no longer bleached by the sun.

I tried googling this, but I couldn't find anything...anyway, I was wondering if anybody knew, why my hair no longer gets bleached by the sun. This seems to be age related, a work colleague noticed the same thing, she used to go very blonde in the summer, but now she stays a mousey brown regardless of sun exposure.

It seemed to stop happening when I hit my mid-twenties, if that's any help. Any ideas ?

EDIT: I realise melanin production slows with age, but why is my hair no longer bleached by the sun when my hair hasn't changed colour.

• 2 weeks later...

The cause for this occurance is quite simply because of your hair pigment has ajusted to the sun's rays, and no longer change colour. It's just like your skin, when you're first exposed to the sun, your skin changes colour, afterwards, when your skin ajusts to the sun's rays, it doesn't get affected as much, and takes much more exposure for you to get burnt.

actualy I`ve no idea why it`s stopped, I`m 39 and mine still changes color in the summer without fail.

do you share a shampoo in common? could they have altered the formula perhaps?

these are the sorts of things I`de be tempted to look into also.

@Scientist

Hang on, that doesn't make sense...sure, your skin gets used to the sun when you acquirer a tan, but once it fades then your likely to get burnt again. The effect of the sun on my long flowing locks has occured over a number of years.

In fact, my nose got fried when I was up in Scotland at the weekend, and I get quite a lot of sun exposure, I travel a lot, and spend quite a lot of time outside. Also your skin cells regenerate, as does your hair, so how is this to do with tolerance. I was really looking for a technical explanation.

Heh, YT2095 beat me to it...well I don't really go for any particular brand of shampoo, all depends what shop I'm in at the time, what's on offer et.c

Maybe it's a particular hair type. I was almost platinum blonde when I was a toddler, then my hair slowly turned brown (round the age of 5 onwards), so that could be something to do with it...but it might not.