Over the counter?

Squintz

• 9 months later...

I do not believe someone can do an over the counter drug in high school. A drug production is complicated and need special conditions(locals, hygyne, trained personal, special equipement, etc).

A drug over the counter is one you can buy at pharmacy without prescription.

You can find a lot of aspirin in different forms of presentation (this is a marketing affaire) and from different companies into a pharmacy, so why should anyone even try to do it into a school ?

Hi Pulkit,

I'm just curious. Did you test your 'Aspirin'? If you can prove me the mixing substance you obtained into a lab can be tested as per USP 26 (or other Pharmacopeea) and prove me the results are within the specification of the product, than I'll agree you got an Aspirin there.

Be careful: you need at least 10 tablets to test for the assay test if your product is good. If not, you can re-test for 30 tablets. Same thing for content uniformity. related substances are a pain in the ass, I agree, but you have to test them anyway.

You see, any result outside the specification of the product is for me a reject, good only for destruction.

Alexa

Did you have the courage to swalow it ?

No, there was no question of swallowing it. I was supposed to figure out how efficiently I could carry out acetylation, plus it wasn't exactly prepared for consumption. Often lots of stuff in the lab has been denatured so you are fore warned not to put anything into your mouth. Plus i needed to put in conc sulphuric acid to catalyse the reaction so no question of swallowing it !

I'm just curious. Did you test your 'Aspirin'? If you can prove me the mixing substance you obtained into a lab can be tested as per USP 26 (or other Pharmacopeea) and prove me the results are within the specification of the product' date=' than I'll agree you got an Aspirin there.

Be careful: you need at least 10 tablets to test for the assay test if your product is good. If not, you can re-test for 30 tablets. Same thing for content uniformity. related substances are a pain in the ass, I agree, but you have to test them anyway.

You see, any result outside the specification of the product is for me a reject, good only for destruction[/quote']

I had not prepared it as a drug but as an acetylation product. There was no question of testing it. Plus side by side I was acetylating ferrocene which is a lot harder to do. Aspirin I must however add comes out in the form of beautiful white needles that float on water, its great fun to prepare.

The acetylating agent I used was acetic anhydride, which is extremely difficult to procure (because it is used to process cocaine/heroine), this is partly why I could nearly 70 tp 80% yield. You can do the same reaction with a more common reagent - aluminium chloride and acetyl chloride.

it can be made using the bark of the White Willow tree also, it contains the Salicin precursor :)

In ayurvedic medicine willow bark is prescribed for aches and fever.

I had not prepared it as a drug but as an acetylation product. There was no question of testing it. Plus side by side I was acetylating ferrocene which is a lot harder to do. Aspirin I must however add comes out in the form of beautiful white needles that float on water, its great fun to prepare.

In this case, we are talking about the acetylsalicylic acide (AAS) and not really about the Aspirin. Aspirin is only one of the commercial name of the drug.

You can say they are the same thing as aspirin is an acetylsalicylic acide, but we do not have the same presentation form of the product.