Questions

~nerd~

(1) How might I explain the genetic basis of a disorder that occurs with equal frequency among both sexes and that doesn't follow basic patterns of Mendel inheritance??????:confused:

(2) Explain the idea of heterozygote superiority with respect to human genetic disorders. :eek:

(3) In a rare form of colour blindness, a person cannot distinguish the colour blue. This abnormality, when it does occur, affects both males and females and in equal numbers. Explain this pattern of inheritance and compare it to that involved in red-green colour blindness. :confused:

(1) How might I explain the genetic basis of a disorder that occurs with equal frequency among both sexes and that doesn't follow basic patterns of Mendel inheritance??????:confused:

(2) Explain the idea of heterozygote superiority with respect to human genetic disorders. :eek:

(3) In a rare form of colour blindness' date=' a person cannot distinguish the colour blue. This abnormality, when it does occur, affects both males and females and in equal numbers. Explain this pattern of inheritance and compare it to that involved in red-green colour blindness. :confused:[/quote']

Ok..its been a while since I've done gentics but here we go:

1. Think about something that is X-linked and dominant

2. Again think dominant allele, In the heterozygoes state you have two copies (alleles) of one gene. One may be more dominant (dominant allele) over the other (recessive). So that in the heterozygoes state the dominant allele over shadoes the recessive one. So for example for the case with a dominant allele you can have one copy of an over active enzyme, or receptor..that would overshadow the recessive gene encoding the wildtype (normal) enyme or receptor.

3. I dont think the question is complete. Just based on that I would say that the frequency of occurence or distribution of the blue mutant allele in the given population (not defined in your question also) is lower compared to red-green allele.

I haven't don genetics in a long long long time, but these are things for you to think about, not necessarily answers. go with the above and see if it makes sense to you..and see of that leads you on the right path.