Recycle to save Money!

YT2095

This thread is to go hand in hand with the recycle poll also.

It`s not only good for the environment but for you`re cashflow too :)

Lets look at ordinary batteries, use them once then throw them away, it would be neat if we could recharge them!

but the warnings on the side say "do not recharge or disspose of in fire" blah blah...

well interestingly enough, the batteries we make here for Export only mention the bit about throwing them on a fire, nothing about recharging them!

here`s what they DON`T want you know... you CAN recharge them, in fact in Japan you can by chargers for ordinary zinc/carbon batteries and alkaline batteries! ok granted they are not ordinary DC chargers like the sort for Ni-Cad cells, but there`s not much difference.

here`s how, a normal charger on a zinc carbon bat will make the zinc plate go spongey and useless, however, employ a technique called PCR (Periodic Current Reversal) as used in the electro plating industry, and your battery will be as good as new :)

for anyone with a little electronics knowlege you`ll be able to make a charger for pennies!

a Diode is a device that allows current to flow in one direction only. so when presented with an AC (alternating Curent) at 50 or 60 Hz (depending on your country) you`ll infact get pulsed DC out of it.

so now your battery is being charged by pulsed DC, but we want to charge in reverse at 1 tenth of the forwards voltage... how is this done?

simple, after your diode have a 1ohm resistor, and ACROSS your diode have a 10 Ohm resistor :)

I`ll try a graphic:

0----->diode>-------1 Ohm resistor----------O + volts

!--10 Ohm res!

0---------------------------------------------------O -

^

AC goes in this side

excuse it, I know it looks dreadfull, Half the keys don`t work on this Kbd (It`s Russian), but that`s the general idea.

ever wanted to get Duracell batteries that the Pros use for next to nothing?

Simple too, goto your local hospital, then goto the Cardiology Dept. in there they use 24 hour heart monitors, they look like a little pagers, and take AA or AAA bateries. by Law they can only be used once, and MUST be of Professional make. just ask them to keep them for you :)

sometimes they may sell them for a nominal fee, but I can buy 12 AA batteries Duracell Procell for a pound :)

you may as well try, they only throw them away anyway, and they last alot longer than brand new batteries you can buy from the shops :)

Non-rechargeable battery chargers have been available in the UK since the mid-90s, but your custom jobby is very interesting. I wondered how they did it.

You can boost some failing batteries just by gently warming them on a radiator.

Often with some devices, it requires that you use regular batteries, as the Ni-Cads at 1.25v and regulars at 1.5v makes a difference in some equipment.

I have a cell fone that I converted to take normal AAA batteries (used for emergencys and kept in the car at all times,hiden!)

so it CAN be an advantage not to use Ni-Cads.

Shame on you for not using it! :)

I Know my digi cam needs regular batts and flatly refuses Ni-Cads

well anyway, It`s just one of MANY ideas I have planned for this thread (just gotta remmember them all now).

actualy, I do ues jars to make salad dressing the easy way, no messy washing up, just add your Olive oil, salt,Black pepper, balsamic vinigar, whole grain mustard and anything else you like, put the lid on, shake and pour, but that`s just logic really :)

Im not telling anyone to go over there and stay. I am an electonic technician i work for the army and thats a site i use to get all of my electronic answers. Iv searched for many on the web and that seems to be the only one that i can ask a question and expect a answer within the same day. Sorry if it came off as advertising but i thought that maybe you guys would want some expert help from them every now and then.

I dont own the site or help run it or anything i am simply a member and they are not as family as you guys are but they are friendly.

Im the type who will read forums all day long no matter what the topic is just so i can learn... It's weird in school i hated reading and learning but now that im 20 and got my AAS degree im addicted to learning.

Maybe schools should allow their kids to get on the internet and chat at forums so they will learn. I think im on to something. ;)

Cool, You`ll love chatting to Kedas then, he`s great at that sort of thing too.

I agree, reading short posts and comments, is a bit like learning without even reasiling it :)

I`ve always maintained that the best teacher is CURIOSITY, nothing more, nothing less.

and BTW, I was exactly the same at school too (when I could be bothered to go) LOL :)