gravitational waves

If two bodies of roughly equal mass coalesce into a condensed form (neutron star or black hole) would we experience dipole waves? If the masses are different are there then quadrupole components?

I believe this has the answers your looking for :) A new client for me to install, Einstein@Home, sounds like its for a useful cause :D

Cheers,

Ryan jones

Thanks, sorry I didn't realize it was often so easy to Wiki answers to well-placed questions. I read that first list and am enlightened to read that radiation happens predominantly with a changing quadrupole moment. It also said that dipole mode is possible but gave no detail. Anyway I started off bass ackwards since a symmetric dumbell is only quadrupole, yah? Then too, is an unbalanced pair simply similar about its center of mass? . . . . . . . . . . The implication seems to be that we will observe frequency sweep upward. If you hear my message end in such a chirp, assume I have imploded.. . . . . . . . . A FEW HOURS LATER: I see it says that a 'dumbell' of changing length radiates; also does a rotating dumbell of stable orbit. That sort of signal does not chirp. Is this a fair summary?

If there was a nearly head-on collision, one of low angular momentum, what would be the nature of the signal? I will hazard a guess that there is none, because a changing quad. moment is not the same as an oscillating one. In electromagnetics, dipole time derivative matters; here it might be the second-order derivative.