Which program should I use?

abskebabs

Hi everybody, I've got a physics essay[or thesis] on Quantum theory and since there will be a lot of equations in my work, I am considering whether I should use Latex to do it. I've never used this program before though, so I was wondering whether; I should just use Microsoft word and the Microsoft equation interface on it, or download Latex and start learning how to use it?

I have a timeframe of a 2 week holiday to do this work in, while revising for my A level exams, so I was wondering what you think would be my best option?

thanx in advance:-) .

Go for latex. It´s easy to learn by just writing stuff. Get a latex distribution for windows (like miktex), an editor (like TeXnicCenter) and perhaps some simple latex source so you don´t have bother about stuff like chosing the style-format and including the nessecary packages but only plug in your text.

LaTeX is pretty easy to learn and get very nice results out of; in the time that you spend typing millions of equations into Microsoft Equation Editor, you could have learnt and done the essay in LaTeX. TeXnicCenter and miktex are a pretty killer combination for the Windows platform :)

LaTeX is pretty easy to learn and get very nice results out of; in the time that you spend typing millions of equations into Microsoft Equation Editor, you could have learnt and done the essay in LaTeX. TeXnicCenter and miktex are a pretty killer combination for the Windows platform :)

I agree with Dave, those two work great under Windows. Also, if you have Mathematica or your school does you can use that to generate LaTex too I believe (I don't have it at home to test) :)

By the way here are the links to the programs Dave suggested:

Cheers,

Ryan Jones

Hi again everybody, I followed your advice and have now installed the small version of Mikitex on my computer and Texnic center.

However, to be frank I'm a little confused as to how I use them. I've had a brief read of the basic commands on Texnic center and think I would be able to use it for math formulae. However I am unsure as to how I use both these programs together[O r what Mikitex is for]:confused: , to create documents I can view just like I could on word in the format they would be printed.

Also when I installed the program and for the 1st time opened it; it asked me what Postcript viewer I assign etc, and I didn't have a clue what it mean't so I skipped that bit. Was that a big mistake?

In a sentence I'm very confused and worried, and even considering just using Microsoft Equation 3 and Ms word to do my work. I would therefore be very grateful if someone could help me out and tell me where I've gone wrong.

However, to be frank I'm a little confused as to how I use them. I've had a brief read of the basic commands on Texnic center and think I would be able to use it for math formulae.

Not sure how obvious it is for you. From the way TeX is used in forums like these, one might think it is for formulas. That´s not true. TeX is for whole articles/presentations/books.

However I am unsure as to how I use both these programs together[O r what Mikitex is for]:confused: , ...

Install Miktex, install TeXnicCenter afterwards. Texniccenter should be able to automatically find the miktex installation. Just don´t bother about miktex.

... to create documents I can view just like I could on word in the format they would be printed.

You can chose either to output the file as a .ps or .pdf. After successful compilation of the source, there should be a file of that type in the same directory as the source. Just view it with the viewer you normally use for these filetypes (which in windows usually boils down to "double click on it").

Also when I installed the program and for the 1st time opened it; it asked me what Postcript viewer I assign etc, and I didn't have a clue what it mean't so I skipped that bit. Was that a big mistake?

No. You can change the settings of texniccenter to add one and the only difference is that without having a viewer specified, you have to manually click on the file created instead of being able to launch the viewer from texniccenter.

In a sentence I'm very confused and worried, and even considering just using Microsoft Equation 3 and Ms word to do my work. I would therefore be very grateful if someone could help me out and tell me where I've gone wrong.

Hard to say what you did wrong. I barely know what you have done so far (apart from installing). My advise still is to take a latex-source from someone else (I´m cuttently on a windows comp at my partent´s so I have very limited access to my data, otherwise I´d attach one here) and try to compile it. If that works, start learning tex by replacing the text in the source with your text and use the old source as a a guide of what´s possible and how it´s done.

Not sure how obvious it is for you. From the way TeX is used in forums like these' date=' one might think it is for formulas. That´s not true. TeX is for whole articles/presentations/books.

Install Miktex, install TeXnicCenter afterwards. Texniccenter should be able to automatically find the miktex installation. Just don´t bother about miktex.

You can chose either to output the file as a .ps or .pdf. After successful compilation of the source, there should be a file of that type in the same directory as the source. Just view it with the viewer you normally use for these filetypes (which in windows usually boils down to "double click on it").

No. You can change the settings of texniccenter to add one and the only difference is that without having a viewer specified, you have to manually click on the file created instead of being able to launch the viewer from texniccenter.

Hard to say what you did wrong. I barely know what you have done so far (apart from installing). My advise still is to take a latex-source from someone else (I´m cuttently on a windows comp at my partent´s so I have very limited access to my data, otherwise I´d attach one here) and try to compile it. If that works, start learning tex by replacing the text in the source with your text and use the old source as a a guide of what´s possible and how it´s done.[/quote']

I guess I get overworried about things and pannicky at times, so I'm just gonna ask a few concise, basic questions.

1. What is a source and how do I compile one?

2. How do I change the settings on Texnic center?

3.How do you place a title in your work?

4.Why am I getting an error message every time I try to build a file saying;"Overfull \hbox (20.0pt too wide) in paragraph at lines 2--3"?

5. If I want to write an equation or a paragraph, what way do I need to make these to stop these error messages coming up?

I guess I get overworried about things and pannicky at times' date=' so I'm just gonna ask a few concise, basic questions.

1. What is a source and how do I compile one?

2. How do I change the settings on Texnic center?

3.How do you place a title in your work?

4.Why am I getting an error message every time I try to build a file saying;"Overfull \hbox (20.0pt too wide) in paragraph at lines 2--3"?

5. If I want to write an equation or a paragraph, what way do I need to make these to stop these error messages coming up?[/quote']

@1: With "source" I mean the plain text file you type - the file you edit in Texnic Center. Compiling is done with hitting the compile button or using the shortcut (something like ctrl-F7, I think).

@2: Dunno. It can be done in the menues but if it´s only for not having to manually click on the compiled file (.ps or .pdf) it´s possibly not worth bothering. I didn´t bother, so far.

@3: With "\title{Here goes the title of my work}". This is placed before the "\begin{document}" line.To create a titlepage, use the command "\titlepage" after the "\begin{document}".

@4: Dunno. I never read much out of the error messages. My preferred way of working with tex is compiling often - if an error occurs, I know it´s due to the lines recently changed.

@5: No idea what you are talking about.

Like I said, I´m currently not at home. I´ll be back in Dresden on monday - I can PM you a source file to get started with, then.

In terms of what happens, it's actually fairly simple. "LaTeX" is a fairly generic term, which just defines a command structure, syntax, fonts, and the like. In order to make actual use of it, you need a distribution such as teTeX (for linux) or MiKTeX (for Windows). Each distribution contains only the command-line applications which make everything work. TeXnicCentre is just a fancy GUI which, basically, runs all of the right commands in the right order and has a nice interface to make your life easier.

Basically, there's a "process" to all of this. Firstly, you write your source file, which lists all the commands and text that you want to translate into a document. Then you have a number of options. Generically, the "latex" command will take your source file, and output something called a DVI file which can be viewed later. If you want a PostScript file (.ps), then a conversion tool called dvips will take a dvi and convert into a ps; as the name suggests. Alternatively, if you want a PDF, TeXnicCenter will then run "pdflatex" which translates your source into a workable PDF automagically without creating a DVI or PS file.

Generally, just create a PDF file. They're the easiest things to view at the end of the day, and they look pretty good too. You can view PostScript using something like GSview, but unless you're going to be using something fancy like pstricks then it's not really worth it.

Overfull hbox generally means that a particular cell of text has gone past the boundaries of the margin. It should just be a warning; you should still get a reasonably workable PS or PDF at the end of it. If you're looking for examples, check out:

http://www.maths.tcd.ie/~dwilkins/LaTeXPrimer/

It's got a whole heap of stuff there, along with the full LaTeX files to try out. That's where I first learnt it from. It's definately worth investing the time to try and learn LaTeX, as it is a very powerful typesetting tool.

Thanks a lot for the help Dave, I found the website especially useful:D . Big thanks to Atheist too. I think I've got to grips with Texnic center now. I have a few more questions however:

How can I add graphs or tables, or other images to my work using Texnic center? Also, how do I create a bibliography, and what is the .aux file for?