Big Bang Idea

herme3

I think I have an idea that would make the Big Bang theory impossible. First, I think the Big Bang theory says that all the matter in the universe was once compressed into a small sphere. Now, can you imagine how much mass that small sphere must have had? If a sphere with that much mass really did exist, I don’t understand how it could possibly expand into the universe.

A black hole would contain much less mass than the small sphere in the Big Bang theory. Yet, a black hole has so much gravity that light itself cannot escape. If matter cannot exceed the speed of light, wouldn’t that also mean that matter couldn’t escape from a black hole? If matter isn’t able to escape from a black hole, how could it possibly escape from the small sphere in the Big Bang theory?

There's a very simple answer to this.

Inflationary cosmology states that the original bit of matter that started the universe was actually around 20 pounds in weight, and the expansion was caused by a Higgs inflaton field--a repulsive field whose value was fluctuating, and then got "caught" on a value that blasted the matter apart with force far greater than gravity. The resulting expansion gave more energy to the inflaton field, which then gave up its energy later as enough matter to fill the universe with a nearly uniform "bath" of particles (E=mc2).

Remember, gravity is weak.

Mind you, we currently have no evidence of a Higgs field existing, but the mathematics all works out. When the Large Hadron Collider is built at CERN, we just may be able to spot a Higgs boson and prove inflationary cosmology right.

At least, that's my understanding. See The Fabric of the Cosmos for more details.

There's a very simple answer to this.

Inflationary cosmology states that the original bit of matter that started the universe was actually around 20 pounds in weight' date=' and the expansion was caused by a Higgs inflaton field--a repulsive field whose value was fluctuating, and then got "caught" on a value that blasted the matter apart with force far greater than gravity. The resulting expansion gave more energy to the inflaton field, which then gave up its energy later as matter (E=mc[sup']2[/sup]). Remember, gravity is weak.

At least, that's my understanding. See The Fabric of the Cosmos for more details.

How could the bit of matter only be 20 pounds? I thought that matter couldn't be created or destroyed. If that is true, a sphere with all the matter in the universe would need to have a lot of mass, right?

I'm not sure if I understand the concept of a Higgs inflaton field. Is that a force that was outside the sphere, or something inside the sphere?

Matter can be created with energy. It's just that you can't get rid of matter without it turning to energy, and vice versa; the total amount of matter and energy always stays the same.

The Higgs inflaton field is a field like gravity that scientists believe permeates all of space. The field currently has a nonzero value, and it gives particles their mass. At the beginning of the universe, however, random fluctuations could have caused it to hit a particular value (value as in field strength/properties) that would make the universe expand rapidly, faster than gravity could contain it.

The idea makes sense, because as the matter in the universe spreads out, the expansion is accelerating--the Higgs inflaton field is still pushing slightly, and as gravity loses its effect on matter over distances, the Higgs field takes over and pushes matter apart.

Mind you, this is all theoretical.

I think I have an idea that would make the Big Bang theory impossible. First' date=' I think the Big Bang theory says that all the matter in the universe was once compressed into a small sphere. Now, can you imagine how much mass that small sphere must have had? If a sphere with that much mass really did exist, I don’t understand how it could possibly expand into the universe.

A black hole would contain much less mass than the small sphere in the Big Bang theory. Yet, a black hole has so much gravity that light itself cannot escape. If matter cannot exceed the speed of light, wouldn’t that also mean that matter couldn’t escape from a black hole? If matter isn’t able to escape from a black hole, how could it possibly escape from the small sphere in the Big Bang theory?[/quote']

A black hole exists IN the universe. The "small sphere" before the Big Bang WAS the universe. Also, at those extreme conditions gravity didn't exist, all forces were melted in one "superforce". Gravity was separated when the universe expanded, became much cooler and actual matter (protons, electrons and neutrons) was able to form.

My personal opinion, although there is no way to confirm this is that the universe goes through cycles. I have based this on the idea that a black hole could take in so much matter that eventually it explodes. There is no scientific proof to back this up. I got the idea while reading "A Brief History of Time" by Hawking, I think. The point is that what ever it was I was reading made referrence to a model for the big bang being a black hole in reverse. So I think that the big bang could be just that.

Its just an idea though and there is no way to confirm or deny it.

that a black hole could take in so much matter that eventually it explodes

How could a black hole explode? They cn evaporate it is believed but exploding is something else comppletly... I just can't see how it would happen - any ideas?

Cheers,

Ryan Jones

There has to be some mechanism that would allow for it since the singularity, or whatever it was, before the big bang "banged".

Not nessisarily, there are other ways - some interesting ones involving the collisions between two branes :D

Black holes tends to pull everything in so there is no way it can simply explode as to do so the stuff in there would need energy to travel faster then light, faster then it can collapse back in. If light can't escape then how an matter through an explosion?

Cheers,

Ryan Jones