Couple more hwks from health class

grayfalcon89

I hate my health class.. These questions are NOT found in my book. Argh. :mad:

1. The first stage of alcoholism is characterized by

a) malnutrition

b) defensive behavior

c) rationalization of drinking behavior

d) reverse alcohol tolerance

2. A major factor in traffic accidents, homicides, and suicides for 16 to 24-year-olds is

a) alcohol use

b) smoking cigarettes

c) affiliation with gangs

d) psychological disorders

My guess: C and D are obviously jokes. In small towns, there are no gangs or "mental disorders" :rolleyes: that's just ridiculous. I'm guessing it's A but I'm not *100%* sure.

3. Becaue alcohol dilates blood vessels, a person who goes outside in cold weather after drinking risks

a) blood loss

b) blood clots

c) low blood pressure

d) hypothermia

Thank you!

lol... unless you have an open wound, you don't have to worry about blood loss. Alcohol dialates your blook vessels, making your skin feel warmer. In actuallity, your body temperature is decreasing. But, because, esp. if you're in a drunken state, you'll want to remove clothing, because you feel warm. This puts you at risk for hypothermia, choice d.

lol... unless you have an open wound, you don't have to worry about blood loss. Alcohol dialates your blook vessels, making your skin feel warmer. In actuallity, your body temperature is decreasing. But, because, esp. if you're in a drunken state, you'll want to remove clothing, because you feel warm. This puts you at risk for hypothermia, choice d.

Is this similar to how drunk people have red faces? I mean like you can see that person is drunk by the face because it's much more red than usual and it looks like the person is "HOT."

I'm not sure why the temperature will be decreasing though. Dilate means to expand, right? So, doesn't that mean that blood will move faster (hence more circulation and heat)?

no it will move slower and pressure will drop, remember there's still the same amount of blood, but more room to spread out. Think of a big wide river versus a narrow gorge with the same amount of water running through it. It will pootle along near the skin losing lots of heat.