LED Technology

YT2095

I`ve just received today what I beleive should Now complete my LED color collection, Namely:

IR

Red

Pink (yes Pink!)

Orange

Yellow

Green

Aqua (yes Aqua!)

Blue

UV

and of course White.

Surely there can`t be anything else left to make other than perhaps in-between shades can there?

have we actualy reached our Zenith for LED Technology now?

Surely there can`t be anything else left to make other than perhaps in-between shades can there?

have we actualy reached our Zenith for LED Technology now?

What about efficiency (well, I think it´s pretty high for LEDs, so perhaps we already are at the 90%+ range) and power output? Especially in the case of power output, I would expect the range of LEDs to be limited. Another issue for LEDs would be easy, cheap mass-production of them.

I don´t think that cheap, powerfull and effective LEDs are already available. At least, the streets of Dresden are still illuminated by ordinary lightbulbs.

I don`t think we`re actualy Far Off from that direction though, I`ve noticed that as the years pass more and more x-mas lights (indoor and outdoor) are changing to the LEDs as opposed to the ordinary bulbs. train signaling is often LED Arrays too, and have been for several years in places, bicycle lights and torches are more common in LED now too. so it`s certainly Getting There :)

Hopefully so (but I´d think lighting a christmas tree and illuminating a street are still different orders of magnitude in terms of required amount of light). It´s a terrible waste of energy when something like 95% (perhaps it´s even more like 99%; not sure) of the energy goes away as heat. Just out of interest: Do you have any technical data for your LEDs? Especially efficiency and power output would interest me.

EDIT: I found that Wikipedia has articles on both, LEDs and lightbulbs, which basically give the information I was looking for.

the Pink, Red, Green, White and Blue are all 5000mcd.

the UV and Aqua are 4000 mcd.

and I`ve no idea about the others.

as for streets, the issue would be the mass production in my esstimate, the cost wouldn`t really be an issue over the long term.

I`ve noticed that alot of Car lights are going the LED route also :)

edit: ok an Update, ALL LEDs that I couldn`t identify will be 4000mcd, I`ve just bought them about 15 mins ago, clear plastic lenses.

there`s only the IR LED that`s a little Unknown now :)

No violet or purple colours there... I don't know how it works out from an engineering point of view.

You can get multicolour LEDs too. So you pass the current in one direction and you get green and pass it in the other direction and you get red. Technically it isn't multicolour because it's two seperate LEDs in one case (still standard 5mm diameter though).