Gravity Probe B - I hope experiment will be a success

Sashatheman

I only recently started reading up on general relativity , and read about the gravity probe B, which is an experiment to test Albert Einstein's theory of general relativity, particularly the effect where space and time get pulled out of shape near a forcibly-accelerated or rotating body in a phenomenon referred to as frame-dragging.

It was launched on April 20, 2004 and took approximatly 17 months for the mission to complete. on 10.03.05 The probe completed data collection. And it will take about 1 year to analyse all of this data.

If you wanna know exactly what Gravity Probe B mission is read up on wiki HERE

But anyway , who hopes that Einsteins theory of general relativity is proven to be even more correct.

And if you guys have any comments on this do tell.

gpb_geodetic.jpg

• 11 months later...

I found out about GPB on the NASA website. After following the experiment for the past couple of years, I can hardly wait for the results.

It seems the final report has been delayed, but in mid april a preliminary report will be available. Go to the Stanford website and search.

I figure the results will probably confirm Einstein. It would be far more interesting if they conflicted with relativity somehow. It could then possibly lead to a breakthrough. A better understanding of how we could proceed to unravel the mysteries of space and time.

I am curious how an unexpected result might affect current models of the universe. If anyone could speculate(in laymens terms) what effects a different than expected result might have. Their comments would be greatly appreciated.

I was very surprised when this was the only thread I could find concerning GPB.

And if you guys have any comments on this do tell.

gpb_geodetic.jpg

Definitely interested, and I do believe Einstein will be smiling somewhere. I'm not expecting any breakthroughs, but they usually happen when people are not anticipating one.