Solving Chemical Word Equations/Formulas....

Y-S

Okay, I have a question that I need to get my mind straight to this. I'm still kinda confused about it. Check this out, these a-m letters are supposed to fix the word equations (or "balances?"), these in pencil I wrote from the whiteboard. These in black, I put it in what was missing, led to my belief/thought on this. I'm not sure if these are correct.....and plus, check this out on a), it was written by a teacher (i put / on number 2, btw, cuz me and teacher were discussing on it on somethin)...the teacher says his on a) is 100% right and i'm not sure.....because i think Nsmall2+2Hsmall2>2NHsmall2 was supposed to be like Nsmall2+Hsmall2>2NHsmall2.......the compound has to be together with elements, right? So.....yeah

hw4hl.jpg

On top, it's just an aswer i wrote to find which type reactions are.

I'm willing to give a big props and appreciation to whoever helps me out!

Thanks

Not sure what you're trying to ask here. You want to know how to place stoichiometric coefficients onto an unbalanced equation? The idea is just to have equal numbers of each element on both sides of the equation (unless you're doing nuclear decay or some such deal, but from the context here, it looks like you're not). The most obvious thing that I see you're doing wrong here is that you're placing coefficients in the middle of a compound, such as for question b), you wrote:

[math]Na + Cl_{2} \xrightarrow~Na2Cl[/math]

The "2" on the left hand side cannot be in the middle of NaCl like that, so you must write it like this:

[math]Na + Cl_{2} \xrightarrow~2NaCl[/math]

Then you notice that there are 2 Na on the right, but only one on the left, so you balance the one on the left like so:

[math]2Na + Cl_{2} \xrightarrow~2NaCl[/math]

And that should be the answer for b).

The correct answer for a) should be:

[math]N_2 + 2H_2 \xrightarrow~2NH_2[/math]

That gives you 4 H on the left and right.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry, I've been hella busy, didn't have time to check but am here now.

So does this mean it's illegal to put a number in middle between two elements, right? And yes, i believe so that it's that to fix the chemical equations

I appreciate for your support, AL, thanks

So does this mean it's illegal to put a number in middle between two elements, right? And yes, i believe so that it's that to fix the chemical equations

Wha do you mean by that? Tis is perfectly valid: [ce]Na2O[/ce].

Cheers,

Ryan Jones