Router half-disconnects me from the Internet

1veedo

This is the wierdest thing. It seems like I'm not connected to the Interent because websites dont load and ping cant resove hosts. But when this happens I'm still connected to AIM/Yahoo, I can talk to people, and people can access my website. It's like I cant make new connections but old connections are still active. I don't know why. THere's not need to reset the cable modem, all I have to do is reset the router.

Ye... very weird.

How often does this happen?

I once had on MSN that it seemed like I was offline on my computer and my friend saw me as offline, but we were still talking to each other!

If resetting the router solves the issue then it would seem like blaming the router is best bet. Next time it happens reboot your computer and don't touch the router, see what happens.

And the time after that it happens try logging off AIM and then trying to log back on. If it works then trying to connect to the net.

Next time it happens reboot your computer and don't touch the router, see what happens.
You mean /etc/init.d/net.eth0 restart ?? :P Lol, jk. But I seriously dobt restarting the computer (or the network) would do anything for the simple reason that every computer on the network lose the Internet at the same time. I'll try anyway, though. If it does work, that still doesn't solve the problem. Better to restart the modem then the computer. (heh, net.eth0 doesn't take more than a second but for my Windows computers....)
And the time after that it happens try logging off AIM and then trying to log back on.
I've already tried that. If I log off AIM/Yahoo/IRC, it wont reconnect. It's just wierd like that, connections will stay open but I cant make any new ones. Even those websites that "keep reloading" will time out. What baffles me is that any service fowarded to my computer will work; like bit torrent, my web server, etc. Bit torrent will upload like nothings wrong but eventually stops downloading if (I assume) the peers disconnect.

I'm going to reset the router eventually, when I get around to it. I have so many ports fowarded to this computer though, and I'd have to go back through, log all the ports, and reinput them. I'm entertaining the idea of just fowarding EVERY port to my computer.

Anybody know what the range is?

0 to 6999? Or do ports go higher?

If it doesn't stop after the full reset then I might as well buy another one.

Well I know that Shoutcast uses port 8000 and Battlefield Vietnam uses UDP port 27900 and TCP port 28900.

Basically the point is that there are a lot of ports and you couldn't really forward them all, unless you can forward ranges (ie. 1 - 1000000000) and it will allow you to forward that many ports (and all in one range).

For a list of programs/ports they use see here:

http://www.portforward.com/cports.htm

The problem sounds like your DNS servers aren't working properly. I know that I had a similar problem with my old router (before I switched to using a dedicated machine to route my traffic). Established connections won't be dropped, but you won't be able to resolve any IP addresses and hence you won't be able to connect to the machine.

You might want to try saving the IP address of something static, like http://www.google.com. Then, when it happens again, ping that IP address. If the ping works, then your DNS servers are down and it's probably your router that's playing up. My suggestion would be to make sure that your /etc/resolv.conf file contains the IP addresses of your ISP's nameservers, and make sure that dhcpcd doesn't overwrite that file (if you're using Gentoo it's a simple matter of configuring /etc/conf.d/net correctly).

On a sidenote, ports range from 0-65535 (this is the range of a 2-byte integer). If you wanted to forward all of the ports to one computer (not recommended as it's a big security risk), then you need to set up a DMZ. Most routers have this capability; it's just a matter of finding it in the options.

Dave, Internet has been hell for me ever sense I started using Gentoo. I finally figured everything out:

You need the driver loaded

Your config must, and I really mean must, look like this

iface_eth0="dhcp"

I do have the IPs of google and yahoo saved so I'll try it next time this happens.

(not recommended as it's a big security risk)
This is a security risk because?

The security risk comes from having programs that might usually be behind a firewall being open to the internet in general. You never know which programs have bugs in them which are exploitable remotely; for instance, the Slammer virus a couple of years back just required a simple RPC exploit if I remember correctly. Basically there's no point in taking risks if you don't have to :)

As for Gentoo, I've never really had any problems with simple ethernet connections. Mainly dhcpcd over wireless has been slow for me, but since I've been using pump things have improved a heck of a lot.