floating ashes? please help!

Guest lilriceboi33

Guest lilriceboi33

Okay, now heres the catch. Does anyone of you know of anything such as "special paper" so that when you burn it, the ashes rise up? my science teacher did that today.. pretty impressive! we were SURE that it was no hoax with no strings attached etc. Very interesting.. just wondering because its been bothering me... (by the way.. im not like a expert in science but maybe it SOMEHOW was made in a way that the smoke carried the ashes up? :confused: i dont know... but it was in a classroom, about standard size, the celing was around 8 feet... and the ashes floated up then slowly drifted down again. Sorry for the long post. I would be VERY happy if you guys could answer. If you don't know, but might have any sort of clue, say it please! I can use any help i can get. Also if you dont want to post it here you can email me at smellypig12345@yahoo.com

Thanks!

P.S. this isn't homework

I guess it's because they are within the rising column of hot air created by the fire. Probably thin paper would do the trick. When sugar cane is burnt, which is done before it's harvested, the ashes get lifted into the air and carried for miles around. Not much fun when you live nearby and have washing on the line :(

Does the ash still have some combustion going on it as it rises. That would give it lift underneath. If it floats after consumption then I would expect it was consumed down to a structure kinda like buckyball, mostly air and simple form. The rising heated air would carry it easily.

Just aman

the Ash itself no, but the chared paper contains some carbon that will turn to CO2, and as it rises, it get a fresh supply of air like faning a BBQ, only on a micro scale.

this particular paper is so light anyway that it will actualy rise while still on fire too :)

a bit like those glowing bits you see at a camp fire that fly away for many meters stilll lit.

lilriceboi33 said in post #8 :

thanx all but um...... whats the kind of paper? like is there a special name for the paper or.....

Hell, I've seen thick newspaper grade paper rise into the air when burned in a campfire. It's just hot air rising and carrying the light bits of ash with it. Think hot air balloon.

Guest lilriceboi33

Oh... okay.. thanks. I just thought that MAYBE there was some kind of special paper used for that or something like that. But thats okay... (hehe if yall are around here in November im gonna post the answer because our teacher said that he'll tell us... but from now till then .. we're being tortured.. :D )

do you Britts have heavy paper or something? With my experience of being a scout camp pyro--- just about any paper rises. Paper plates just wither, i guess regular paper doesn't always achieve airborn, but toilet paper really flys---- so as you can see, i do not see what the big deal is