Gibbs Donnan equation

Guest Bob

I'm not sure whether this is biology or chemistry so i place it in both forums. could somebody please help me answer this question about the Gibbs Donnan equilibrium.

We start with 10 Na ions and 10 Cl ions in each of the plasma and

interstitial fluid compartments. Into the plasma compartment we add 60 negatively charged protein molecules together with 60 Na ions to maintain electrical neutrality. According to the Gibbs- Donnan equilibrium what is the final distribution of ions?

please post your question once, and once only. If you're not sure where to put it, guess, or put it in the general science forum.

it's been too long since I've done any of that kind of science, so I'll let someone smarter than I answer:D

• 1 month later...

Ok

[na]in = [na]out

[cl]in = 2 p out

K= [cl]^2]r*p^2

So the arrangemnt of the ioistaion level would be

using log, Kp(out)(in)*(nacl)ou in

seem complicated i know but its not that bad.....

so [na]in =[na]out

Arrangagment = _incl.cations and anions):

Inside = 18na+ 8cl- 10a- Outside = 12Na+ 12cl- i hope this helps remeber Kp = {in}o/{out}o = p^kv

The answer is whats in and out its BIOLOGY by the way and also

there is a net imbalance of cations (positive) and anions (negative) across the membrane, 18/12 and 8/12 respectively. This represents a potential difference across the membrane. But just show the in and out {k} opps i mean [k] i like them more lol