"Shape" of the Higgs field...

Daecon

Something occured to me while pondering the nature of wave-particle duality and it's effect on the "double-slit" experiment.

Could the Universe have an intrinsic shape that is determined by the arrangement of physical matter inside it?

Because the x2 slit experiment has been proven to work with single electrons, but only where there are 2 slits instead of one, could the very nature of there BEING a 2nd slit somehow alter the fabric of (I hate the word) "ether".

Unfortunately my vocabulary is insufficient - but I'll try my best to explain my idea.

Imagine the Universe having a "template" for wave shapes and interference patterns, so that waves will flow around this shaping no matter how many of a quanta compose this wave.

With a single slit, there's only the one route a wave can take, determined by the shape, which can only be determined by letting the waves flow in that shape, like a "mould" that you make jello out of (imagine the jello mould being invisible so you only know what shape it was by pouring liquid jello into and letting it set).

With the presence of a 2nd slit, the shape of this wave template is fundementally changed, and it's structure will display interference in wave patterns, no matter how many of a quanta are passed through it, because the shape is already there!

What does this have to do with the Higgs field? Well there has to be something in the structure of the Universe that gives shape and form to these wave template patterns (again for lack of better words). and I imagine the Higgs field to be the best candidate for it.

I hope this doesn't sound too silly, and I'm open for questions to help test my theory. :) (Or would this be classed as more of a thought experiment...?)

Well it's a little disheartening that this topic hasn't recieved any feedback.

I feel compelled to try a *bump* to see what happens.

Of course if nothing does happen I guess I'll have to take the hint...

*sigh*

The duality in the double slit experiment has been observed with particles up to a mass of about 70 daltons.

It may have nothing to do with the Higgs Field, since that is supposedly responsible for imparting the quality of mass to particles, and massless photons are also subject to the two-slit duality.

What struck me as odd with some two-slit experiments is that for the photon, there could have been no time and no distance between being emitted and detected. Both of those geometries would have reduced to zero at light speed. The photon would have been in all places at the same time, and that same time was the same for the start of the trip as the end.

It might explain why a galaxy, gravity lensing a more distant object, through a two slit experiment today can alter the path that the photon took many millions of years ago. It's enough to make you scratch your head.