Are there any antimatter galaxies?

mr d

can there exist a galaxy out there formered from dark matter?

also do physical laws found here exist in all galaxies throughout the universe, or could there be galaxies whose matters was created in manors different than that of ours, and have different physical laws-properties as a resault.

strange thoughts

mr d

Assuming large zones of antimatter exist, there would have to be some boundary where antimatter atoms from the antimatter galaxies or stars come into contact with normal atoms. In those regions a powerful flux of gamma rays would be produced. This has never been observed despite deployment of very sensitive instruments in space to detect them.

DV8 is correct that no signs of anti matter galaxies exist, however generally not much matter exists between galaxies and not much matter swaps between galaxies. The small amount of matter/antimatter anihlation that could happen on the edge of an antimatter galaxy may not be significant enough to be deteced.

So it is theoretically possible, although it has not yet been experimentally proven.

Symmetry was broken in the early universe when charge and parity symmetry was violated (CP-violation). Standard Big Bang cosmology tells us that the universe initially contained equal amounts of matter and antimatter: however particles and antiparticles evolved slightly differently. It was found that a particular heavy unstable particle, which is its own antiparticle, decays slightly more often to positrons (e+) than to electrons (e-).

How this accounts for the preponderance of matter over antimatter has not been adiquitly explained.

How this accounts for the preponderance of matter over antimatter has not been adiquitly explained.

I was sure I had a couple of current sites in my 'favorites list' that indicate that the phenonomen you alluded to doesn't seem to account for the apparent lack of anti-matter in the visable universe, but I can't seem to find them.

aguy2