Ecotones

Pee

Transition zones definately exist. They are just generally so hard to define (because the subject itself is very complex and there are many interconnections) that it is generally useful to just focus on whatever you need to focus on. For instance, a beach is an ecotone - yet birds may fly over areas of the ocean that are very far from shore, and if they crap or eat that has an effect. The whole ocean then can become an ecotone, or you could define the surface water of the ocean as an ecotone.

Maybe I should be asking questions instead of offering "answers." I'm not really certain what it is you are looking for. Are ecotones real? I'd argue yes, but only in a sense. They are arbitrary, since you have to define the boundaries to your ecosystem, but they may nevertheless be a useful classification for scientists.

As for the comment you made about diversity, I have no idea what you are saying.

The 'concept of ecotones' exists, since this is a model constructed by people to understand nature. Whether it is a useful model is the question I think you are asking. Like any decent model, it will have areas where it is useful, but it will also have limitations.