Homemade Heat Exchanger?

mrblond5311

I was just wondering if anyone knew how I could make a homemade heat exchanger. It's more of a contherm concept but I need to constantly keep a liquid moving while I'm heating it up. The main idea of my contherm is to keep the liquid constantly moving through a tube while being heated from a source that isn't in direct contact with the liquid. Any help would be great, Thanks!

big coil of pipe/tubing that won't react with the liquid but it in a bucket fill bucket with water(or other liquid that is still liquid at desired temperature) light fire underneath, wait till at operating temperature then pump your liquid through the piping(you could even let gravity do the pumping if its thin enough.

big coil of pipe/tubing that won't react with the liquid but it in a bucket fill bucket with water(or other liquid that is still liquid at desired temperature) light fire underneath, wait till at operating temperature then pump your liquid through the piping(you could even let gravity do the pumping if its thin enough.

That'll work Thanks! I was thinking of something similar to that but more complicated.Your idea is better.I just need to hook a pump at one end of the tube to get it to cycle through. It's kind of a thick liquid. My wife's gonna hate me for hooking up a little "science experiment" in the kitchen,lol. Oh well. This'll be fun. Thanks again!

I've been trying to bring ideas that I have for work home but I run into problems since I don't have the equipment at home that I have at work (makes sense,lol). I work for a prepared foods company and alot of the ideas that I have they can't do right now because they're backed up with other things right now; some of them my ideas they're currently putting in place (simple ones). I needed the homemade heat exchanger (contherm) to test an idea I've been trying to get together for work. I'm doin as much research as I can but some things I need help with so any knowledge you can give me is much appreciated! We currently use heating & cooling contherms at work so I wasn't asking you to do my work for me. I just want to be able to test my theories at home before I try them at work & look like an arse; plus I feel like I'll learn alot more by talking with different people than just having my ideas shot down at work. I ask about as much as I can at work between mechanics, engineering, and Quality Technologist's. I have about 6 months before I can have the company pay my way through college so I'm trying to learn as much as I can now. I even have a textbook on Food Chemistry being shipped to me on Monday! Hopefully this will answer any questions you and YT2059 may have. If you need any more info just ask. I'll completely understand. The last thing I need is for people to think I'm just being lazy and having other people do my work for me.Once again thanks for your help!

Sounds good. You'll probably get a raise if the idea works. And, don't be worried about asking about what you don't know. If everyone was we wouldn't have developed science. I'm studying chemical engineering so naturally heat exchangers are part of what we have to study, along with reaction vessels, seperators, mixers, etc. etc. got anymore questions and i'll answer them.

I've been working on this idea for about 6 months now & it should save my plant alone (we have six) over a million a year; hopefully. I just got a promotion this year but it's not exactly what I want. I'm hoping this idea and some of the others will get me the promotion I'm looking for and the chance to go to college. I'm not sure what I'll take in college though; probably something with food science and engineering....any ideas? I haven't really looked into it yet but I know I definently want to solve problems at work using chemistry and engineering. Thanks for the offer to answer some more questions. I might be looking you up when I work on my ammonia freezer idea. :D