Wireless LAN (not urgent)

insane_alien

There should be Rj-45 Jacks in the back of the router. Buy two network cables and plus each computer into the router. Once you have done this, you have to put both computers on the same subnet ( if the router is configured for DHCP , it should be done for you automaticly). Now on the computer where the files are create a folder and share it. Now place all the files you want into that folder. Go to your other computer and click " My network places". In the "computers near me" you should see the computer where the files are at. Bingo! Just copy/paste the files across.

FreeThinking

PS. I am assuming that both PCs have Windows XP and that the router has RJ-45 jacks!

It would be easier and faster to connect the two PCs directly via their ethernet cards. The speed will remain at that of the slowest network card, and the risk of the wireless connection being momentarily dropped and killing the file transfer (as Windows does so well) is removed.

You will need an RJ45 crossover cable to do this. You can pick them up anywhere computery.

i got it working just now. i could go buy the cable and get 100Mbps(or thats what the cards say) but i'm quite happy with it being slower but with my existing hardware and not another goddamn cable >:-( . I have been trying to untangle the spaghetti of wires hanging out the back off my PC not in the best of moods.