Help me, Please!

rthmjohn

My chemistry teacher is so retarded! She tried explaining this problem to me, but I think her logic was flawed. Could anybody please help me solve it? I don't mean to sound like all those other people who try to get others to do their homework. I actually did attempt this problem, but I think more information is needed. Here it is:

Determine the calorimeter constant for a particular bomb calorimeter by mixing 50.0mL of water at 25.0 degrees C with 50.0mL of water at 60.0 degrees C. The final temperature attained is 40 degrees C.

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Well you know what the specific heat of water is (That's easy to look up) and you know the mass of water you started with at 25.0 degrees and the mass you started with a 60 degrees. Based on the standard data for the specific heat of water and the data you have there, you should be able to easily calculate the temperature of the water if no heat is lost to the surroundings. (I.E. a perfectly insuled calorimeter that doesn't absorb energy). Since you were given the final temperature of the water you'll be able to determine just how much heat was lost to the calorimeter and this should give you everything you need to determine the constant you seek.

But, jdurg, she gave us this formula to solve the problem (and yes she included the parenthesis too):

q(hot water) = - [q(cold water) + Calorimeter constant * DeltaT]

Doesn't this include energy lost to the calorimeter? She said that heat was lost to the calorimeter. The answer she arrived at was about 69J/degree C, which seemed a bit low...

I was thinking the same thing. And it's stupid that you would try to find the calorimeter constant of a BOMB calorimeter by adding water to it. It would make more sense to combust a substance of a known heat of reaction, but like I said, my teacher is RETARDED!!!!!!!