Question on Comets and Asteroids

the_EEPER

Hey, QUESTION:

I was wondering which are harder to detect and why, comets or asteroids?

I heard that asteroids were harder because they can't be seen in the 'blindspot' (the space in betwen the sun and the earth), but I also heard comets were harder...

Can anyone give me some help?...At least to back up the comet-claim?

Thanks man

I would think that the answer would be based upon where you chose to look. within the inner system, the comet would be easier, as it is constantly venting lighter gases, such methine, amonia, and others that have a lower boiling point than water.

Long period comets would be harder to spot than short period comets, since the Kuiper belt is not as far out as the Ort Cloud.

I would be curious to see the answer from a more learned person. Perhaps someone can provide links as well?

• 11 months later...

asteroids are generally just larger comets. we think most all the very large ones have been found and/or documented. estimated range into the millions for such things that orbit the sun. interestingly nothing is thought to come from outside our solar system. make up or what the mass consist of is one thing we have yet figured out how to determine. they are also thought to be left over matter from the solar system formation 5 or so billion years ago.

google one or the other. some articles give counts and sizes that may surprise you.

Well comets would definately be easier once they were close enough to the sun to get their tail.

Beyond that, I'd say it would vary case to case. Since comets consist largely of ice, they may have a larger albedo than asteroids (they reflect more light, and hence are easier to see). Can't think of any particular reason why asteroids would be easier to see, but hard to say.